bobdole
Fresh install of xoops
  • 2005/8/3 21:08

• bobdole

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/22

How can I go about using a fresh install of XOOPS and various modules without losing any data such as forum posts, news items, users, etc.?

What would I need to backup (sql database obviously)
Any part of the XOOPS directories?

Duke_Henry
Re: Fresh install of xoops

I think the "etc" makes my answer severely limiting.

Obviously, if you are dealing with user data, then as long as you backup the db data for the relevant tables, you should be fine.

As long as your fresh installation is the same version, and you are using identical module files, and you backup all of your db data, you should be good to go.

If you need help or any further clarification from a guy who has restored many XOOPS installations, and done what you are exactly asking about - PM me, we'll figure it out.

bobdole
  • 2005/8/9 16:27

• bobdole

• Just popping in

So, if I understand correctly, I can backup my MySQL data and install a fresh copy of XOOPS with the same modules and then copy the data over. I do not need to backup any part of any module (for the most part). I know of one module (icontent) that I will have to backup, but the general modules such as newbb etc I do not need to backup.

Another question, lets say I found an issue with the current release version of XOOPS and I wanted to revert to an old version. If I no longer had a backup of the sql database files for the old version (or that version was out of date), is there any way to revert?

Dave_L
  • 2005/8/9 18:56

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Most of the variable information (data) is stored in the database. Exceptions are mainfile.php (configuration parameters), the uploads directory (if you've uploaded anything there) and any files that you've manually customized (such as themes). And as you noted, some modules could update files, although that's typically uncommon.

Before upgrading XOOPS, I strongly recommend backing up the database and all the files, so that you can get back to where you were if something goes wrong.

If you backup a database for XOOPS version A, and then do a "clean" reinstall of XOOPS version B, restoring the database backup may or may not work. It depends on whether there are any database differences between version A and version B.

jansen
  • 2005/8/9 20:06

• jansen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/9 1

Don't forget the /uploads folder if you want to keep (for example) your photobook, and imagemanager pictures (if not stored as blob data).
If you are using NewBB2 don't forget /modules/newbb/uploads as well.

Good luck!
Find your spot on Earth and Wreck it!

BoardStyle Magazine...

bobdole
  • 2005/8/10 20:11

• bobdole

• Just popping in

I understand the need to backup, but the site in question is an internal support site that gets alot of traffic and many posts/content added daily by multiple users. Reverting to a backup would mean a loss of data or a manual effort to recreate the data after reverting. I would rather do a partial restore of certain files then a whole restore.

Example:

- Problem found in core module for XOOPS verion 2.2.x
- Many new additions in forum module since upgrade
- Revert core module and core modules sql data without reverting entire site and all modules

Is this at all possible?

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits