• 2005/7/19 22:58

• -snake-

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/9 8

Hello people!

I have seen problems with xoops...

It is not very scalable...

for eg. if you post a very long continuing message like this one

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllajsdjlkdjklasjfksdahfjkhsgkhsfkjghfsjkdgrwiutyuirytuiyqwioyiwteqy89432542067b9ssdfgdfjgsdfsdfsdafjkhehfkjsdahfjksdhakj;fhsjdafhkjsdahfioweyiryewqiorhiuwfkjlsdfsa

then the contens of the XOOPS just streches and we can see the bottom scroll bar at the bottom

what do you say!

-snake-
Re: xoops not very scalable!
  • 2005/7/19 22:59

• -snake-

• Just popping in

You have to admit that after seeing the above results!

Any suggestion to XOOPS developers....

davidl2
  • 2005/7/19 23:15

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

In all honesty... how likely is that to be done, except when quoting source code?

seth_sd
  • 2005/7/19 23:35

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Oh, you meant scalable as in left to right not as in hundreds to thousands of users . Actually, in the terms you speak of it is quite scalable!
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

CeBepuH
  • 2005/7/20 0:01

• CeBepuH

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/6/10

Davidl2, actually I've seen it often enough on one of the sites I'm managing. Unfortunately, people there are not very computer proficient. Usually, they paste long links (they are too lazy or too oblivious to use the [url] tag) that result in stretching of the site. The one word long comments 'gerry-is-so-hawt!!!!!' are more uncommon as I don't tolerate that much those.

-snake-, I think there were some threads with fixes for this in the forums here.
Humans need fantasy to be humans. To be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape.

-snake-
  • 2005/7/20 0:05

• -snake-

• Just popping in

I am sorry if my english was wrong!!!

can anyone post links to the posts where I could find out the solution to this problem

dickinsd
More a question than an answer
  • 2005/7/20 0:20

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

This is more of a question than an answer.

Would using a theme with a fixed width solve the problem?

The themes I use are all set to 100%, I took that as meaning they should expand to fill the size of the screen the user has, however I also have seen the problem were a post can distort the look of the site.

If you use a theme that is set to only be 800px wide, would this contain the threads for you?

ALSO: I have wondered a few times why it is that the newbb forum does not have an option to parse links(I think that is the term they use) like say the vB boards.

For those unfamiliar with what I am talking about, it allows you to stick a huge URL in a post, the link is then reduced automatically when you submit your post.

Dave

JMorris
  • 2005/7/20 1:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
Would using a theme with a fixed width solve the problem?

No, the long link, or text string will just break your url. Off the top of my head, the only way I know of controlling long text strings is with the CSS overflow attribute. I'm sure there is a better way and I would love to see it implemented.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

MadFish
  • 2005/7/20 4:02

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I think the reason for not wrapping is to avoid breaking code when it is pasted into the forums.

At least, I remember seeing that explanation offered before.

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits