Vargr
Changing the template in News 1.3 - impossible?
  • 2005/7/3 14:16

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

I have a problem modifying one of the templates in the News 1.3 module.

I have just updated my site to 2.0.13 and everything seems to work well. I completely disabled, uninstalled and deleted my old News 1.1 module. Then I uploaded and installed the News 1.3 module. So the module install is clean, so to speak.

I have my template set cloned and is using my custom template set; not the default one.

I want to change the layout of the "Recent News" block, also known as news_block_top.html. I go to admin/blocks and select Edit for the block in question. Then I click on Edit Template and is taken to the Block Administration --> Edit a Block (I hope I get the English names right; I am using a Danish speaking version). Here I delete everything and copy in the text from a template from another site. Click Submit.

And no changes are visible. The one template that originate from the module package remains.

I then uninstall the module, delete it and upload it again, re-install it again. Same procedure as before. Same result: no change.

Thinking that the template I am trying to copy in is somehow to blame, I decide to delete all the text in the template and just write a single word, just for testing purposes. Clicking on submit and expecting some weird results. But no - it displays fine in the manner of the original template supplied by the package.

Changing the template information directly in the database changes nothing.

Uninstalling the module again and then copying the templates I want into the packages before uploading and installing it (again-again) makes no difference - the result is based on the original template.

But if I ask to see a preview of the template it shows up as I want it to; it just doesn't show in the page.

Now, either something spooky is going on or I am making some silly mistake somewhere. I am most inclined to believe the last.

Anyway, can anybody help me out here? I am getting pretty frustrated.

Thank you in advance.

[Later addition]

I have tried to clear the templates cache (templates_c) but to no avail.
Vargr
- 狼 -

Shine
Re: Changing the template in News 1.3 - impossible?
  • 2005/7/3 14:38

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

You have to update the module before the template chages will take place. (admin/system admin/modules/)
Also make sure you change the setting within the main admin general settings:
Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory? to yes.

After your done change this setting back to no.

Grtz., Shine

Vargr
  • 2005/7/3 14:47

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

Thank you for your quick reply.

And yes - I have done both. It didn't solve the problem
Vargr
- 狼 -

DonXoop

Did you make sure that the new templates are in your custom template set? You might want to delete all the templates in your News (via the admin panel) and Generate a new set. Of course you have this custom set as the main system template?

Also, caching could make your changes invisible until the cache times out.
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics
===========================
Not around here anymore. Way too many idiots, so sad.

Vargr
  • 2005/7/3 17:32

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

Deleting the template in question solved the problem.

I can now get the changes made in the template to show.

Thank you both of you for your help; it is much appreciated.
Vargr
- 狼 -

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits