JimLunsford
Re: To NewBB or CBB?

No modules will be included with 2.2. It's up to the user what they want to install. (I want to see cbb included but that's just me)

davidl2
  • 2005/6/29 21:21

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Xoops 2.2 upwards wont come with modules (other than a couple of "core" ones) - but module packs will be available later apparently.

The main reason is so updated XOOPS installations do not end up with older modules (as with newbb1 and news 1 until only recently)

Xman04
  • 2005/6/29 22:12

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

If I understand this correctly, the primary update with 2.2 is the core XOOPS engine (and the associated core components, such as the system administration, registration system, user profiles, PM system, search functionality, etc.).

Is it correct to assume that I can leave the currently installed modules in place (core modules from the previous version and any add-on modules), and the XOOPS 2.2 update will compatibly integrate with those modules?

Dave

tedsmith
  • 2005/6/30 11:32

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I could be speaking out of turn here, but I think the conversation is moving away from the main subject of the thread which is NewBB2 or CBB (which seems to have been well answered). This current dialogue seems to be more about future developments of XOOPS and may perhaps merit a new thread of its own?

smdcom

CBB is based on newbb2... with more enhancement to the module... personally, CBB is recommended.

Xman04
  • 2005/6/30 17:46

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

Hi,

I didn't intend to go too far off topic here and I apologize for that.

After discussing the pros/cons regarding newbb1 verses newbb2/CBB, I became worried that upgrading to Newbb2/CBB prior to upgrading to X2.2 may cause future compatibility problems (and I wasn't sure which version, if any, would be more compatible with X2.2). That was the primary reason why I mentioned X2.2 in this thread. However, I didn't realize that the forum module wouldn't be included as a core module with X2.2. So now that issue is pretty much resolved in my mind, except for one lingering question which I mentioned in my last post.

To be honest, I'm still not confident as to whether the benefits of an upgrade from Newbb1 to CBB outweigh the potential problems that "may" still need to be worked out with CBB. It would be helpful to get some feedback from several users of CBB, as to whether CBB runs faster than NewBB2. I would be very interested to know the experiences with CBB verses NewBB1/NewBB2 on moderate to high traffic sites. I know that there is an article on the speed of NewBB1 verses NewBB2, but I'm wondering how CBB ranks.

I realize that CBB is an evolving project, and I'm very excited about the features and future of CBB. However, I'm just wondering if I should upgrade now, or wait for later releases.

Dave

Mithrandir

Quote:
Is it correct to assume that I can leave the currently installed modules in place (core modules from the previous version and any add-on modules), and the XOOPS 2.2 update will compatibly integrate with those modules?

Yes.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits