McNaz
Re: Newbb2 "IE unexpectedly shutting down"
  • 2005/6/22 14:38

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
but as a creator of websites I have to face the fact that most people are browsing with IE

Sadly very true. I recently had experience in designing a XOOPS site for a client only to later find out that the majority of their visitors were running IE5.0 on Macs, which did not support Xoop's CSS based themes as much as modern day browsers.

What do you do in that situation? Do you support a much older browser technology? **** no! My advise, again, was to recommend to their users to upgrade to later browser technologies (ie Firefox in that case).

Slightly irrelevant example here as IE 6.0 is far more widesread than IE5 on the Mac. Maybe the best we can do is advise our site visitors of the benefits of IE alternatives and reasons (better security, compatibility, etc)...

I also wonder what can be done from a XOOPS or Newbb2 prospective? All these two do is generate HTML code. Pretty clean and efficient HTML code I would imagine as well (not littered with Frontpage/Office markups). How can we fix a browser, that is closed source, that doesn't know how to handle HTML properly? Surely these same users will have similar virtual memory issues in any graphically heavy website like Ebay (won't mention MSN as that is probably rigged to work perfect on IE and nothing else!), the BBC, (put your favourite graphics heavy website here)....

All I can hope for is a swift demise of IE...

Gambero[removed]

Wait few weeks for Internet Explorer 7.

russtik
  • 2005/6/22 17:24

• russtik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/13

Quote:
Wait few weeks for Internet Explorer 7

According to the server logs we've still got users browsing in IE 5 !

russtik
  • 2005/6/29 10:24

• russtik

• Just popping in

I've had some more feedback from the users regarding the problems with newbb2.

Quote:
machine 1 os 98, browser IE 6.026 - reporting approximately over 300 - 400 objects for downlaod promptly hangs.

machine 1 0s 98 opera - hangs

machine 1 os 98 firefox - hangs

machine 2 os 98se browser IE (friends machine) - browser reported an error and shut down, repeatedly and page formatting errors

library machine windows xp browser IE - reported browser has encountered an error and shut down repeatedly

machine 3 os win 2000, tried IE, opera and firefox - various errors see above,

I think the first issue with the 300-400 objects might have something to do with the background image of the drop-down menu?

I'd appreciate it greatly if any of the XOOPS community could take a look again and see if they can produce errors in IE and/or suggest some fixes. I've turned off png hack and I'm now going to try swapping the form for koivi.

Click here for the site.

phppp
  • 2005/6/29 11:06

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

russtik wrote:

I think the first issue with the 300-400 objects might have something to do with the background image of the drop-down menu?

Yes, perhaps png hack as well. you could try CBB, which "fixes" the problem

russtik
  • 2005/6/29 12:09

• russtik

• Just popping in

I was referring mainly to the "quick menu" in the left column which uses css to control the hover state. I'd much prefer to fix NewBB2 rather than change to another forum module.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits