pmcnamara
Sports Community Website -- Requesting Review
  • 2005/6/22 23:47

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/12/3

Hey All...

lansingsportsrage.com is now 6 months old... and over that time I have learned quite a bit about XOOPS and how to make it work (or how it sometimes just won't).

I'd be interested in hearing site reviews...

LansingSportsRage.com is where Lansing (Mi) Sports Fans Talk Sports.. it is a sports community where fans of Michigan State (and Michigan too), Detroit Pro Teams, and Mid-Michigan High School sports fans come together to share opinions, talk trash and maybe even learn a thing or two.

The mod's write articles from time to time also, just to give us a journalistic flair

If you have a few minutes, please stop in and give us the once over.

Due to massive amounts of personal attacks on the board, I made the site members only... however, I created a guest account (id=guest;password=password) which I will leave available for a little while. I'm hoping you'll all be responsible.

Thanks,

Patrick
http://www.lansingsportsrage.com

pmcnamara
Re: Sports Community Website -- Requesting Review
  • 2005/6/24 4:46

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

41 views and not one comment ?

Ouch.

kgmetcalfe
  • 2005/6/24 6:55

• kgmetcalfe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

snazzy. looks good - is bright. does not appear cluttered... is a lot of information for the eye to take in - might overwhelm some that dont know how to quick browse...

if i was a sports minded person i would be spending a lot of time there... might anyways just to say i do...

McNaz
  • 2005/6/24 8:39

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

I like the theme and layout. Clean, lean, mean and efficient.

Two things I didn't like: the intro (I just don't like intros at all. I am sure a lot more people do though) and having to register to view forum posts and news items (again, my preference).

davidl2
  • 2005/6/24 8:44

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I agree with McNaz - site is very clearly laid out, makes good use of the space... but not so keen on the flash... that's probably just me being boring however

Good work anyway!

pmcnamara
  • 2005/6/24 16:30

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks guys..

I agree with you about the flash.. I think most repeat visitors just bookmark the home page and jump past the flash on follow up visits.

We struggled with the decision to make the site viewable to unregistered viewers... but we make the call that since we are suppose to be a "community" and since registeration is free (and its only a 2 line form) that it would be that big of deal.

If a person can't invest 15 seconds into registering then they aren't really joining our community anyhow..

I hope you used the guest membership I created (see above post) to gain entry for yourselves --

Thanks to all who like the layout.. I think our site looks a little bit different then the standard XOOPS site and I'm hoping you all will like it too.

Patrick

rcjohnson
  • 2005/6/24 18:26

• rcjohnson

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/23

Im not s sportfan, so I can't comment on the quality of the content. I can however comment on a few things about the layout, and what I would expect. Im not a pro designer, these are just my suggestions.....

- After logging in, (guest/password} you Welcome to LansingSportsRage.com block is still visiable. This is not somethign I woudl need/like to see everytime I log into the site.

- navigation. The navigation gets put down low on the page. Below recent visits, seach and who's online. When I visit sites, I like the navigation to be easily available.

- calendar and coming events. It woudl be better if Todays events and coming events appeared closer to the calendar. It just ties everythign up a little better.

I like the look and the feel of the site. I would just get rid of some of the useless blocks that do not pertain sportsnews, or move them below the news blocks. Its nice to have the more important topics, or topics that change at teh top of the page.

Sometimes less is more, just because you have it, does not mean you have to use it.
- XOOPS 4 THE WIN!

pmcnamara
  • 2005/6/28 0:18

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

RC -- that's some good advice.. I'm going to move the menu up some and move the calendar & events closer together.

The Welcome Page I don't know how to work with... I want the welcome page to appear to new users who aren't registered, thus it needs to be on the home page.

How can I make the block visible to unregistered new users and not visible to members ?

krystinevo

Quote:
How can I make the block visible to unregistered new users and not visible to members ?

That's set in admin/groups/anonymous - make sure that center block "Welcome to LansingSportsRage.com" is checked for anonymous and make sure that same block is unchecked for registered users.

Go Spartans!!!

Kristine, who spent 6 years at MSU and never attended one football game
Everything is as it should be

pmcnamara
  • 2005/6/29 1:37

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

Glad to see the Spartan Nation is alive and well !!

I'm sure even if you never set foot inside Spartan Stadium (or Breslin or Munn either) you still wear GREEN on Saturday's and I'm sure you'll email all your Spartan alumni friends and tell them to visit lansingsportsrage.com !

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits