jimbofoxman
Retail Business's Page Setup???/

Not 100% sure on the whole layout/context yet, but I know I will need atleast the following.

FENCE CENTER
LAWN CENTER
FEED CENTER

I need to setup a main menu system of some sort to cover these and probably others like;

VENDOR LINKS
ABOUT US
FAQ
AFFILIATIONS/ACCREDIDATIONS

Then each of the center we'd probably have menu items like;

PRODUCTS
GALLERY
HOW TO'S
ETC.

What do you all think would be the best way to do this and still keep it easy to use for the customer? As well as keep it easy for several employees to update their part of the site?

Any suggestions? Websites that would be like this to look at?

THANKS

Jim

jimbofoxman
Re: Retail Business's Page Setup???/

BUMP

McNaz
  • 2005/6/24 14:03

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Hi Jimbo.

The closest thing I can think of that will offer what you are looking for is OSCommerce. Looking at your requirements, I don't think you need Xoops, just the standalone oscommerce package.

OSCommerce has also been made into a XOOPS module but that is not for the faint hearted and it offers no real advantage being a XOOPS module (user management, for example, is not integrated with Xoops).

Good luck in your research.

Cheers.

McNaz.

jimbofoxman

At this point we don't need online retail. Wonder if it would work for that? I'll have to investigate further.

McNaz
  • 2005/6/24 14:46

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Hi again Jimbo.

I should have read your first post more carefully.

If you had, say, Fence Centre and then under that you had Products, Gallery, How Tos etc then it would have been a simple matter of using something like Freecontent or Tiny content.

This becomes sligtly trickier when you need to duplicate this structure for your three centres. You will not be able to use any of those two modules to have a main menu structure like :

Fence Centre
Products
Gallery
How Tos
Lawn Centre
Products
Gallery
How Tos
Feed Centre
Products
Gallery
How Tos

Having said that, One way this can be achieved is by doing your own navigation block, by hardcoding the html links as displayed above. Each link would then point to the appropriate tinycontent/freecontent/wfchannel pages.

I hope this helps in some way.

Cheers.

McNaz.

bluenova
Re: Retail Businesss Page Setup???/

Quote:
One way this can be achieved is by doing your own navigation block, by hardcoding the html links as displayed above.

Or use multimenu

rcjohnson
  • 2005/6/24 15:07

• rcjohnson

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/23

I have a similar layout for our website. I used xf-section and multi-menu to create the layout I wanted.

My absolute favorite mod is xf-section. Its easy to use, easy to duplicate, and it works!

I then mimicked the navigation that xf-section gives using multimenu.

You can see how I used multimenu and the duplicataable xf-section at dtgtv . com.
- XOOPS 4 THE WIN!

rcjohnson
  • 2005/6/24 15:16

• rcjohnson

• Not too shy to talk

I just read your post again. The best thing to use is going to be the xf-section mod. Install it, and then run the /modules/xfsection/admin/duplicate.php script.
- XOOPS 4 THE WIN!

jimbofoxman

So basically all XF Section is doing is SECTIONING off you articles for easier maintenance? Cause theoretically I could just have one section in XF and bunch all the articles together and just point the Multimenu link a article, right?

Is there any benefit for going with WFSection over XFSection? I see WFSection talks about linking PDF's.

THANKS

rcjohnson
  • 2005/6/24 21:58

• rcjohnson

• Not too shy to talk

The reason I went with xf-section instead of wf-section was that(aside from how slow and buggy wf-section is) I had several different categories that I wanted to show information about. With wf-section, there was not an easy way to create a separation in the categories.

Also, it may seem petty, but I did not want my url having wfsection in it. Id rather the url display the area of the site the user is visiting. This is also the reason I did not use tinycontent.

XF also has the ability to add files to any particular article, like pdf's, jpgs, whatever.....

You could have all of your articles in one section if you want to, but the way you described what you were lookign for, it appears that you wanted separate categories. if you just put all the "sections" under one category, it will not really make anything easier, but with the kind of site you are lookign to build, will end up being more difficult for you in the long run. (my experience and opinion.

I wish I could more reasons why xf is better, but I spent over a year trying to find a module that would work like xf-section. I tried every single content management mod on this site, and was so happy when I got around to xf.
- XOOPS 4 THE WIN!

Login

Who's Online

101 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 101

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits