aharon
xoops and rss
  • 2005/6/20 15:31

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/17

Hi,

I tried to convince a friend to use XOOPS for a new ebsite he is planning.
He liked the system, but was seriously put off by the RSS friendlyness, or rather lack of it, in xoops.

There's RSSfit module, but it seems clunky to work with and limited to certain modules.
When, as a designer, you just want to get on with the website, and realise RSS comes as a basic feature in other CMS platforms, it becomes easier to just use another platform..

Shame, really, because XOOPS is probably the best CMS - but when time and clients knock on the door, other preferences kick in...

Aharon

rowdie
Re: xoops and rss
  • 2005/6/20 17:47

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

aharon
  • 2005/6/20 19:16

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

Yes, this is an interesting module. However, unless I am missing something, it does not make each section or page in a XOOPS site - RSSable. i.e. if you run a module that does not produce an xml/rss file - xmline is unable to make such a file...

Best wishes!

Aharon

Mithrandir

I think you are right.
I also think that RSSFit is the best bet for you right now.

Unless you want to develop a modular approach for creating RSS feeds easily in modules? That would be a great addition that I would love to take a look at for inclusion in XOOPS 2.4 - if you will do the leg-work.

aharon
  • 2005/6/20 21:07

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

Unfortunately, I am not a software programmer, hence the type of questions...

Sounds like an easy and flexible RSS solution in XOOPS is far. My guess is that it could make it worth the waiting if such a solution included podcasting and other media capabilities. This will make XOOPS irresistible solution for a large number of people, specially artists/musicians... People who want to put up a site, be in control of it - but do not want to deal too much with programming..

Best wishes!

Aharon

phppp
  • 2005/6/20 21:44

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

XMLine is a module for XML feteching/reading, or parsing. What aharon needs is an XML feeding/creation module, right?

There is not an official universal XML feeding handler in XOOPS but most modules have their own RSS (or other XML feeds) feeding handler, like news, newbb/cbb

In my opinion, there SHOULD be a XOOPS-wide feeding handler for every module with valid format.

davidl2
  • 2005/6/20 21:47

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Definately something for the Xoops4 suggestions..

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits