Gombunan
Upgrading my server. What specs to look for?
  • 2005/6/13 20:49

• Gombunan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/14

Currently my XOOPS site is hosted on a dedicated server, Celeron 1.3 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 60 Gig hard drive at EV1Servers.net. During peak times the site becomes very slow and the server really struggling. It is usual for the server to simply crash and a restart is the only way to fix this.

I am planning to upgrade my server and would like to get your opinions regarding the best server to get with the limited fund that I have.

During peak times, my site gets about 300 or more visitors on the main site and another 400 or many more users in the forum.

What do you thing the best server to get that can accomodate these number of visitors?

I am willing to spend max $200/month and am thinking of getting an Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive. Is that sufficient for my needs?

Thank you!

LazyBadger
Re: Upgrading my server. What specs to look for?

1. Celerons must be avoided as server-plarform as soon as possible
2. You'll not see big differences between 60 and 80G IDE drives, better choice is using SCSI device
3. Any real Pentium (or Xeon) will be good, and more RAM is better in most cases than modern CPU
4. Most important part is fine-tune of Apache and MySQL, which is separate hard task (default config of Apache and MySQL are very "common"), and selecting good OS - also... For you site I'll think only about FreeBSD, for example... and maybe MySQL on separate host

In any case you have to monitor you server's status in order to define weakeness components

Gombunan
  • 2005/6/14 7:57

• Gombunan

• Just popping in

LazyBadger, Thank you for responding!

Well, I only can afford the P4 2.4 GHz, Linux with Ensim Pro Control Panel, and 1 GB RAM.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/pentium4_series.asp

I am not famaliar with FreeBSD btw.

I just thought Celeron 1.3 GB wouldn't cut it no matter how I fine tuned MYSQL/Apache.

Will the server I have in mind cope with my requirements you think?

Jan304
  • 2005/6/14 10:28

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

If you really got that much visitors, I think in long term thinking it is a _lot_ cheaper to buy an own server and try to find a nearby datacenter to place your server. It is cheaper and you have full control over your server.

You might want to consider that option.

highlander
  • 2005/6/14 10:48

• highlander

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/5

I have to agree with Jan304 on this one !

Buy a server and place it in a datacenter and just pay for the internet connection and the bandwisth you use.
It will be alot cheaper and you'll have full control over the server.

Good luck !

LazyBadger

Just to note:
1. ev1servers.net offer dedicated servers
2. Good server will cost ~$1000, rackmount - even more
3. ev1servers's packages are not excellent, but "not so bad"

Gombunan
  • 2005/6/15 6:09

• Gombunan

• Just popping in

Quote:
If you really got that much visitors, I think in long term thinking it is a _lot_ cheaper to buy an own server and try to find a nearby datacenter to place your server. It is cheaper and you have full control over your server.

Yes, I'll probably take that route but unfortunately there's no nearby datacenter at my place

Quote:

LazyBadger wrote:
Just to note:
3. ev1servers's packages are not excellent, but "not so bad"

Could you explain more regarding this? Could you let me know other companies that offer better packages so that I can check them out? Thank you

aeks222
  • 2005/11/28 20:15

• aeks222

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/1

what is the ram requirements for the XOOPS according to visitors.. i think it needs enormous amount of ram.. i have a 128 mb ram in my vps and it isnt enough to server 50-100 people at the same time what do you suggest?

m0nty
  • 2005/11/28 23:12

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

if u can spend $200 a month then you could get a pretty good dedicated server package from many datacenteres/providers that are 24hr managed

you're best of using a datacentre.. it doesn't have to be local if it's managed anyway.. most datacentres will have some deal for full support.

the thing is about managing your own without the use of a data centre is bandwidth constraints.. you would need a bloody good connection for the users you are talking about.. i don't even think a T1 line would be sufficient for what you stated.

Lance_
  • 2005/11/28 23:55

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

surpasshosting.com has some nice dedicated server prices. Service is excellent. They manage it all, but you still have full access to break anything you want on it, then have them fix it.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits