davidl2
[PAID WORK] Xoops needs....
  • 2005/6/12 11:54

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Ok, we know that there are clever XOOPS module developers out there - but like all programmers, they are sadly underpaid - and need to be re-warded for their work

we also know that XOOPS is a great system, but some of its modules need a bit of work....

Are there any developers willing to take some of the simpler XOOPS modules, and then perhaps the more complex needed ones, and give them a "kick up the bottom"?

What I suggest is a post of what simple modules are required to be updated - and to see if anyone is willing to update them - and for how much money.

The payment? Well lets see how much money programmers want first.. and then see if any Xoopers are willing to donate towards them

To start with....

XoopsPolls - needs better tracking facilities, features to hide results if you've not voted yet (unless set otherwise) and a miriad of features asked for on the site.

Posters - please only add simple modules you want to see enhanced to this list... I'm talking about the sort of thing a good programmer can do in days, not weeks (in otherwords - not a shop module, or anything as complex!)

Programmers - just let us know if you can do, or are willing to do these, how long it would take - and how much you want paying (if anything - hoepfully not!) to do them!

announcement for Forum admin... if this turns into a moaning match - please delete this thread! thankyou!

hervet
Re: [PAID WORK] Xoops needs....
  • 2005/6/12 12:04

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Just one question, is this a personnal initiative or a XOOPS initiative ?

Herko
  • 2005/6/12 12:07

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Not a bad idea, I think. I'd like to give it an extra spin tho.

Starting with XOOPS 2.2 (the stable version of the current XOOPS 2.1 development), we will use Module Packs to distribute the system. These packs are sets of modules and themes, geared toward a specific type of website. Gameing, news, portals, intranet, software development, etc.

We now have many modules that are moderately good at diong a lot of things. They have a lot of features. Why not focus on the packs more, and by doing so, create modules that are extremely good at doing a specific set of tasks. That will mean that there will be different 'versions' of modules, for specific uses, but it will improve the overall usability of the system (it should take usability and real content management processes as the starting point of development), and the use of these modules too.

And why not have this development funded by sponsors, be they from clients who want the features, or be they this community

Herko

Herko
  • 2005/6/12 12:08

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

hervet wrote:

It's not a XOOPS.org project. If this is what the community wants, it could become one tho. But not just yet

Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/6/12 12:18

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

hervet wrote:

Personal - and no, i don't plan to pay for all this myself

(Although if someone was going to update a module I particularly liked, and wasnt asking a lot of money, I may be willing to donate towards costs)

davidl2
  • 2005/6/12 12:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Only thing is .. the idea is this is for modules for the community - so they would be open source.

Paid for modules for special cases are a different issue altogether.

I dont want flames over open source vs paid for modules starting again. Keep the fighting to the playground kiddies!

Herko
  • 2005/6/12 12:25

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

heh, that's a common misunderstanding.

WIth open source, the product you're paying for is services (as opposed to code with proprietary software). So, paid modules here actually refers to paid moduledevelopment services. Whatever the client does with the module afterwards, is another issue.

So, paid vs open source is not an issue, they are the same (or can be). It's free software with free as in freedom, not free beer.

Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/6/12 14:11

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Thanks Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/6/12 17:17

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

CDBase - another excellent module that needs enhancing further... although perhaps more complex than XoopsPoll

terrion
  • 2005/6/12 17:52

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

I wish that the mydownloads had a way of selecting files from a list to edit rather than having to know/find the file number. It's my only complaint about that small/simple module.

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits