TCMTCM
Problems with headlines & RSS
  • 2005/6/8 17:35

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/4 1

I've been using XOOPS on my site, RevoGaming for a little while, and have incorporated an RSS feed from it's sister site, DSGaming. I was hoping to incorporate a similar system into DSGaming, but I have run into quite a few problems.

Initially, I got an error about writing to the main menu, which I fixed by CHMODing a couple of files. After that, however, there have been some other problems.

Before I go on, I must say that DSGaming is running XOOPS 2.0.9 while RevoGaming is running XOOPS 2.10.

I have tried both xhld (the version on the site and the version on the homepage) and xoopsheadline. However, in the case of xoopsheadline, the previous DSGaming administrator deleted it and so I have installed it from the default file found with XOOPS 2.10.

With both, I have encountered problems. I have listed them below:

xhld
It doesn't show my feed when loaded. My site has two different feeds, and neither of them work. I can get the block to display correctly on the right, but there are no headlines from RevoGaming displayed.

xoopsheadline
I have installed this module, but when I go to the settings, and add or delete feeds, I get a blank white page after the confirmation. This means that I cannot add RevoGaming's feed to the list.

I have tried both when installed together and when installed seperately, as I have read that xhld and xoopsheadline have problems working together.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. It is essential to the networking of the two sites that such a feature be implemented.

~TCMTCM

TCMTCM
Re: Problems with headlines & RSS
  • 2005/6/9 17:56

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

Anyone? Isn't there anyone that can help with this problem? I know that I am not the only user experiencing these problems, as I have read older topics asking similar questions.

TCMTCM
  • 2005/6/10 17:42

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

58 views and no replies? Please. This is really important :(

rocket98
  • 2005/6/10 19:51

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

TCMTCM,

Pull a copy of xmline you'll find it here by searching, or on dev.xoops.

See if that solves your problems getting feeds in. I've used both for months with little to no problems. xmline is more customizable for front end block display ie. production . xhld customized via templates further in this site. Front page is entirely driven by xmline and rss actually 95% of site is just rss feeds the amazon stores are a different piece.

I'm running 2.0.9.2 I have another install same URL with 2.0.10 sample where I play it also works fine with xhld and xmline. it could just be something setup improperly. I've never chmod anything for permission problems in either module.

Have a look in xhld prefs make sure you give users/anonymous access to module otherwise it may not show up. Also check XOOPS groups make sure you've got permissions set in their as well.

I am running earlier version of xhld on production, sample runs latest of xhld. I did just install 2.98 on a different site and see a couple of things i don't like. 1 may be what's affecting you. Previously all feeds worked fine ... I add a new feed and it does not show on front xhld headline page but shows in a secondary category page.

TCMTCM
  • 2005/6/10 21:51

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

Thank you. I will try XMLine and post my results. Funnily enough, I could only find it at XOOPS China.

TCMTCM
  • 2005/6/10 22:06

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

XMLine did not work either. Is it a problem with the RSS feed? I have my news syndicated at NewsNow with no problems. However, I have heard of charset problems or something similar. My RSS feed can be found here:

Nintendo Revolution Gaming RSS Feed

If anybody could help further it would be much appreciated.

rocket98
  • 2005/6/12 8:34

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

Hi TCMTCM,

Have you turned on PHP Debug in your XOOPS Prefs to see, what, if any errors are returned when you try to use the modules.

Your backend.php feed is working as expected. The feed is 100% valid. This is a default install 2.0.1.0. Only the theme has changed.

xhld sample

In xhld you will notice immediately if you have a feed error. A feed producing an error will be outlined in a reddish hue and it will not pull the feed into your site. From the samples above no errors have been generated.

xhld selects the correct feed format based on the incoming rss. So there is nothing there you have to do to make it work other than install module, plug in a feed and then read your feed.

Have you done anything else to the xhld module to cause this concern besides changing permissions through your FTP client.

Have you tried completely removing the module, uninstall (remove database entries), then overwrite the xhld directory with a new copy and re-install.

You said you tried the XOOPS Headlines module (yes/no) Xhld and XOOPS Headlines can't or won't co-exist from what I have read. Is the Headlines module still installed in XOOPS have you completely removed it or just shut it off?

What name did you give the xhld module besides xhld0 ... anything? If Yes did you move back to default directory name.

Have you tried any other php rss feed programs on this ISP of yours to see if those work as expected. There are numerous ones available.

I'm just spouting off some things if it helps then it's good ... no.

Regards,
rocket98

TCMTCM
  • 2005/6/12 21:16

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

I think I remember xhld putting a reddish hue around the feed at one point, but I believe that changed later on.

Whenever trying xhld and the xoopsheadline modules, I always made sure to at least uninstall the other one. However, I recall that at one point suring my testing of xoopsheadline there were still xhld files on the server. In the case that this was the problem, I am testing xoopsheadline without the xhld files now.

That demo site you provided a link to seems to display the feed fine; could you provide me with a username and password (via PM if you want privacy) so that I could examine the xhld setup?

~TCMTCM

TCMTCM
  • 2005/6/13 1:31

• TCMTCM

• Just popping in

After further inspection of DSGaming, I think that the problem could be the version of XOOPS that the site is running: 2.0.9 rather than the upgraded 2.0.92. I would normally upgrade straight away; however since I do not own DSGaming I am concerned that upgrading may somehow affect the site. Is this true? Would there be any way by which to prevent this?

~TCMTCM

jdseymour

There was a bug in version 2.0.9 that had to do with duplicating the templates of the system and some installed modules. 2.0.9.2 was released to fix the problem. Then of course there was 2.0.9.3 to address the Avitar vulnerability, and finally 2.0.10 with more security enhancements.

The only true way to prevent damage to a site is current and regular backups.

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits