MadFish
Re: XOOPS is forked
  • 2005/5/21 7:41

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
Any chance of getting back into the UNforked one ??????

I agree, and I'd love to see you back in the fold here Catz. The odd fork is a fact of life, but I am just not so happy to see XOOPS split three different ways at once.

Anyway, best wishes.

damaster
  • 2005/5/21 10:56

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Quote:
DonXoops wrote:
yeah, I think I'll fork XOOPS too. Give me a minute..
Is there a FAQ?

As soon as i finished mine (fork), i'll publish it (faq) here!

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/1 4:07

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

tzvook wrote:
Hi Cats

Long long time ....

Hope you feel good these days !!!
Kinda sad to see all is forked out ... though good to see you're in action again around the XOOPS environment

Any chance of getting back into the UNforked one ??????
(had to ask ... ... I think that a big part of this community wants to ask it too ... especially now when things got cooled a bit ...)

Hey Tzvook,

Nice to see you are still around old timer :-p

The chances of myself getting back into the Unforked one are very slim indeed. Sorry.

I was going to get come back, but it seems I have a habit of stepping on peoples toes just now and I think it would be prudent if I kept a low profile around here just now.

All I can say is if the current core would like me back then I would have to think about it, but we both know the snowball has more of a chance lol

Take Care,

ATB

Catz

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/1 4:10

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
yeah, I think I'll fork XOOPS too. Give me a minute..
Is there a FAQ?

Hey Catzburger, how the fork are you?

Hey Don,

Long time :-p

Yeah I couldn't resist with that post hehe! LOL

Doing good, yourself?

ATB

Catz

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/1 4:11

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Hey Mad,

Nice to see those stars next to your name, you the new sherrif in town? LOL

Good to see you doing well

ATB

Catz

Vahrokh
  • 2005/6/1 8:27

• Vahrokh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/17

There are forks like those that happened to PHPNuke. To overcome technical limitations, limited architecture etc.

Then there are the personality based forks.

Guess what? It's sad to see a product with much potential being torn apart and forked because of litigations and not because of technological problems.

Don't tell me it's impossible to merge the forces to make a cool looking AND secure AND light weight API Xoops, because you know the truth, it's BS. From the (possibly uninformed but that's what you have) "end user" point of view, all of this is just an huge egos war.

And know what? My company that relied on XOOPS after the big PostNuke drama will have to move to other products. We are already discussing it, and I am being hold responsible for the "bad choice" (we invested about 2 man years in XOOPS based works that have to be kept up to date and security patched etc. etc.).

Serious operations need to know that they are not wasting time, money and effort and research in something that will implode to dust - the uncertainty is after all what keeps big companies from going full open source (the ethernal question: "what if this critical application dies / becomes obsolete and no updates are done? Who wants to be responsible for it?".

In my humblest opinion, uncontrolled forks galore are one the biggest open source projects killers.
Sure, a fork may lead to a better product. May.
But how many forks water down projects till they smear into oblivion?

Sorry for the harsh post. I am pissed a lot. And in trouble in my job because of this sorry event.

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/1 8:52

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Vahrokh wrote:
There are forks like those that happened to PHPNuke. To overcome technical limitations, limited architecture etc.

Then there are the personality based forks.

Guess what? It's sad to see a product with much potential being torn apart and forked because of litigations and not because of technological problems.

Don't tell me it's impossible to merge the forces to make a cool looking AND secure AND light weight API Xoops, because you know the truth, it's BS. From the (possibly uninformed but that's what you have) "end user" point of view, all of this is just an huge egos war.

And know what? My company that relied on XOOPS after the big PostNuke drama will have to move to other products. We are already discussing it, and I am being hold responsible for the "bad choice" (we invested about 2 man years in XOOPS based works that have to be kept up to date and security patched etc. etc.).

Serious operations need to know that they are not wasting time, money and effort and research in something that will implode to dust - the uncertainty is after all what keeps big companies from going full open source (the ethernal question: "what if this critical application dies / becomes obsolete and no updates are done? Who wants to be responsible for it?".

In my humblest opinion, uncontrolled forks galore are one the biggest open source projects killers.
Sure, a fork may lead to a better product. May.
But how many forks water down projects till they smear into oblivion?

Sorry for the harsh post. I am pissed a lot. And in trouble in my job because of this sorry event.

I think your company might be over reactioning to all of this, many open source software have issues and XOOPS is going through a sticky phaze at the moment only due to the changes that have taken place recently. I have been with XOOPS for nearly 4 year in one way or another and I can assure you that normally this ship sails quite smooth.

As for software developement, lets not kid ourself here. Open source is a case of 'up and downs in the developement cycle' and we have to learn to adjust to that what ever inviroment we choose to stay in.

I would say that XOOPS has the best modules around, both in the quantity and quality (You should have been around 3 years ago when we didn't have that much to choose from lol).

Ride this current storm and I know that the claim waters are not that far away.

ATB

Catz

Herko
  • 2005/6/1 10:21

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:
Catzwolf wrote:

The chances of myself getting back into the Unforked one are very slim indeed. Sorry.

I was going to get come back, but it seems I have a habit of stepping on peoples toes just now and I think it would be prudent if I kept a low profile around here just now.

All I can say is if the current core would like me back then I would have to think about it, but we both know the snowball has more of a chance lol

Catz, contact me about this, please. If we start off on the right foot now, we might be able to leave the past the past and start anew from both sides

And thanks for the nice PM

Herko

MadFish
  • 2005/6/1 11:21

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

--- double post deleted ---

Sorry, having big browser problem...

MadFish
  • 2005/6/1 11:22

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Argh...I wrote a really long post about all this, and timed out and lost it ! So here's the short version with reference to (Herko's) previous post:

Good

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits