kavaXtreme
Prayer Request Module
  • 2005/5/28 10:56

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

• Since: 2005/1/17

I'm looking for a prayer request module, and my searches lead me to believe no such module yet exists.

My users need to be able to post a request, and post an answer to the request at a later date. I'm trying to think of creative uses of other modules. Bassman suggested using a ticketing module. My problem so far has been that modules that handle requests tend to be set up for viewing by a small "support" audience. I need something that would be accessible to the whole technically-challenged community.

Any ideas?

Chainsaw
Re: Prayer Request Module
  • 2005/5/28 11:24

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

I had a prayer module for XOOPS installed but it didn't work properly and I wasn't technical enough to fix it. It was sent to me by another church webmaster. Unfortunately the files are on another computer. I'll try and package it tomorrow and load on my website for you to check if it is suitable.

It'll need some work before it can be released but basically users submit their prayer requests and it goes on a list which can be in categories.

kavaXtreme
  • 2005/5/28 14:21

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

• Since: 2005/1/17

Brilliant! I should have just gone ahead and PMed you after reading your other posts!

Any other specifically religious modules you know of? I'd like to put them in the Module Repository while I'm at it.

Chainsaw
  • 2005/5/29 3:53

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Have zipped the files up into prayerlist.zip (just 123kb).

http://www.albanycc.org.nz/uploads/prayerlist.zip

see copyright quote
Quote:

Copyrights:

Original work on which this is based:

: John Mordo - making the Jobs for XOOPS 2.0x module.

This itself was based on original original work by:

: Pascal Le Boustouller - <email removed>

Modifications to make this a prayer module:

: Mark Wooldridge / Jubilee Holiness Church - <email removed>

Chainsaw
  • 2005/5/29 4:03

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Re other religious modules - I'm using phpBible but that doesn't need to be integrated into Xoops.

http://www.albanycc.org.nz/phpscripture/bible.php

A few on my wish list that I will be researching on are

a. A 24x7 prayer chain that church members can book themselves - probably use a calendar module.

b. A bible study module - need to look at a classroom module, simple things required - bible study note, maybe include multimedia files ie mp3, ppt, doc etc and end with questions and results. Good to include comments sections for discussions.

cdunivan
  • 2005/11/16 6:48

• cdunivan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/25

It's not specifically geared toward prayer requests, or even religious in design, but I just set up a prayer request forum using the Forum module that comes standard with XOOPS on our church's site,
www.fbc-farmington.org. It's open access to registered users, so we ask people to exercise discretion when appropriate, but it's done alright since we launched it late this past summer.

peterr
  • 2005/11/22 0:25

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Quote:

kavaXtreme wrote:
I'm looking for a prayer request module, and my searches lead me to believe no such module yet exists.

My users need to be able to post a request, and post an answer to the request at a later date.

Any ideas?

Why not just simply use a forum ? I've seen quite a number of church/ministry sites where one of their forums is for prayer requests.
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

peterr
  • 2005/11/22 0:33

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Quote:

kavaXtreme wrote:
Any other specifically religious modules you know of? I'd like to put them in the Module Repository while I'm at it.

Whilst not specifically for churches/ministry sites, the 'xRoster' module may be useful for church rosters ?
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

gestroud
  • 2005/11/22 1:17

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

XOOPS has two religion-oriented modules that I'm aware of: The Bible module and the Quran module. I have copies of both if anyone needs them. They seem to work well under 2.2.3, although the Bible module has always exhibited some template problems.

skenow
  • 2005/11/22 3:47

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

We spent a great deal of time discussing how we would provide the ability to submit prayer requests on our site, and we selected Formulize (v1.6 + email hack).

Each church will have different criteria, and here are ours:
1. Availability - it should be available to everyone, just as it is in our services
2. Anonymity - some people would like to remain anonymous, and we respect that
3. Privacy - not all details need to be disclosed (specifics about a surgical procedure, for example), and not all subjects of the prayers know the request is being made on their behalf. Submitters are also able to select the type of prayer for their request - private (ministerial staff, only), prayer chain (limited number of trained lay people), and public (offered during a church service)
4. Discretion - while most visitors and submitters will be discrete, there are those on the web that spam every form and deface web sites. Others miss the point of the request and only seek attention. Since we allow anonymous submission, we must filter the requests.

Formulize allows us to create a form to meet all these criteria, and publish reports to the proper groups of people, based on the type of request. We currently do not publish any requests publicly online. With the email hack, staff can be alerted of a new submission.

A forum would be an excellent way of achieving a public prayer list, allowing moderation of the posts and submissions before they are made public. (Our forum was defaced because of permissions that weren't strict enough).

My desired add-ons for a church site - XOOPS Code, or similar way of tagging Scripture references (I manually add links to online Bibles, now), almost like wiki links. A course module (I still have to look more at OBS Classroom) for study groups.

Steve K
Web Steward @ www.easter.org

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits