xpider
couple flaws default theme/css
  • 2005/5/19 21:29

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/9 2

While dissecting the default theme I have found a few flaws.

first line #27 in theme.html calls for id headerlogo...
it does not exist in .css

second line #41 style.css
line-height: 120%; line-height: 120%;

declares line-height twice which causes a problem with netscape and firefox and maybe others that puts a slight space between every 4th or 5th menu button.

I myself removed the line height completely and let the font size dictate line height. padding is already set at 3 so I don't see why it's needed.

if you go to the doc site at Xoops Documentation

You can see this for yourself.
Minor errors but I'd think that the default theme for XOOPS should be error free =)

Hope this was helpful for anyone having problems with default menu =)

ackbarr
Re: couple flaws default theme/css

I agree with 1 out of 2. Just because an ID is in the theme does not mean that it needs an explicit CSS style defined for it.

As an application and theme developer, I prefer to add hooks to the html elements liberally, so that I'm not focused on the visual design of the document, but rather its logical grouping.
In the default theme I think this is even more important of a practice, as it will be used as a template for many user-created themes. Having those hooks already in the html makes the CSS customization MUCH easier.

Of course, a compromise might be adding a blank style for that id to the theme:
#headerlogo {}

xpider
  • 2005/5/20 2:53

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

Never mind... I will just keep my findings to myself in the future and thanks for pointing this out ackbarr since I used to make my living as a website designer and don't really know much on the subject. Sorry for waisting your time.

I will go back to creating my adolescent themes for the kids around here.

Good Day =)

ackbarr

No need to get pissy about it, I just don't agree that having an ID declared in the theme without a corresponding CSS style is a flaw in the theme. Perhaps we are just getting hung up on semantics.

My statements previously were merely to illustrate my preference for adding hooks into a template based on logical groupings, even if they are not used for direct styling at the moment. It was not meant as an attack of your abilities, nor to discourage you from participating in development.

jonpz
  • 2005/5/20 6:24

• jonpz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/10

thanks xpider... more helpful info from you, and only a few days as a member of the site. the menu thing was driving me nuts. displayed perfectly in ie but had an extra pixel on every third menu item in mozilla and firefox. only thing is i looked in my css file and found that i had already removed the extra line-height tag (on td#leftcolumn div.blockContent), but when i removed the tag altogether... its perfect. me happy.
peace to all.
pz

xpider
  • 2005/5/21 14:40

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

Your very welcome jonpz =)

Your right it does cause the same problem when left in. I didn't notice since I just removed it completely.

It should probably be removed since it is the base that most use for creating new themes.

Just my opinion =)

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits