Media Type RAM real audio files.

Nice features.

ilivanov
Re: [myMEDIA] Test my new media manager module
  • 2005/5/18 13:36

• ilivanov

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Nice, nice, but again as Debase and SmartMedia cant limit the badnwith, take the example if one server (no matter win or gnu) streams 700MB or more to 20(in my case 125 workstations) in one time the network will be totaly flooded.

As Debaser and SmartMedia, MyMedia cant support subtitles, both of them are like one to me, unuseable.

Cos no everyone is forced to know /learn/ English, movies are unuseable without subtitles to different languages.

And one offtopic: Why Solo, Marcan, Frankblack and all other media modules developers not cooperate in one team, and to create something really usefull. This is a week place in XOOPS community, 7 different Download Modules, 10 for News publishing, and who the (censored) needs this. Instead of 10 (censored) u can create one with all pluses from this 10 forks.

solo71
  • 2005/5/18 14:34

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Quote:

ilivanov wrote:
Nice, nice, but again as Debase and SmartMedia cant limit the badnwith, take the example if one server (no matter win or gnu) streams 700MB or more to 20(in my case 125 workstations) in one time the network will be totaly flooded.

Well, this is the first time someone is talking about this kind of problem... I don't think though, that it is a module's job to manage the brandwith. Is'nt this more a server side aspect?

Quote:

As Debaser and SmartMedia, MyMedia cant support subtitles, both of them are like one to me, unuseable.

Cos no everyone is forced to know /learn/ English, movies are unuseable without subtitles to different languages.

Err... Didn't knew that such module were existing? Isn't this kind of stuff managed by the media itself. But I see what you mean. And to be honest, so far, I have no idea I could handle this... Scrolling text?

Quote:
And one offtopic: Why Solo, Marcan, Frankblack and all other media modules developers not cooperate in one team, and to create something really usefull. This is a week place in XOOPS community, 7 different Download Modules, 10 for News publishing, and who the (censored) needs this. Instead of 10 (censored) u can create one with all pluses from this 10 forks.

I don't think it's necessary to use (censored) words here.

Just for your information, I use to talk to Marcan almost everyday about our respective developments. Some features you can find in smartcontent or in edito are issued from such discussions (meta generator for instance). This doesn't prevent him and I to develop our own modules, with our respective needs. Which give an interesting pannel of modules available for the community, and useable to webmasters. Up to them to make their choice depending of their own needs.

Really, I wouldn't talk about forks here, but "creativity and diversity".

LazyBadger

Quote:

solo71 wrote:
Well, this is the first time someone is talking about this kind of problem...

Because you live in another world. Sad to say, but it's true

Quote:
I don't think though, that it is a module's job to manage the brandwith. Is'nt this more a server side aspect?

Sometimes - no... you can't define throttle policy on object level, only on (in best case) on application or protocol.
But Bandwith policy on item-level, definable inside module make happy a lot of people (no limits for mp3 below 192Kb/s, 512K on client for avi... and this movie - without limits)

Anonymous
  • 2005/5/18 15:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

A short comment from me!

Limiting bandwidth: Yeah, nice idea, but most solutions I!! found rely on server extensions or additional software to be installed. So this is IMHO a no-go for a module. You can't expect that a user/webmaster or provider installs every software on a server.

Subtitles: Yeah, also nice idea, but I don't know any kind of php-script reading the subtitle from a file. Most of debaser's function heavily rely on the getid3-class, so I have to take what they supply. I got a negative answer from them concerning subtitles. So I CANNOT add this feature, because this is FAR beyond my capabilities.

Quote:

We all have different approaches what might be useful for a module and this is GOOD. To tell you the truth: I am NOT a programmer (earning my money with something else and far better in this job), I just made this for FUN.

If I understand you correctly debaser is not useful to you. I guess others share this opinion. So I will bury my project right now!

solo71
  • 2005/5/18 15:32

• solo71

• Module Developer

Quote:

francis wrote:
To tell you the truth: I am NOT a programmer (earning my money with something else and far better in this job), I just made this for FUN.

Same here.

Quote:
If I understand you correctly debaser is not useful to you. I guess others share this opinion. So I will bury my project right now!

C'mon Francis. We don't do all this to please people, but just because we have a common passion.

davidl2
  • 2005/5/18 15:44

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Grrrr - some people are never happy are they?

Both modules are excellent - and I appreciate the hard work that you both put into them.

Anonymous
  • 2005/5/18 16:07

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
We don't do all this to please people, but just because we have a common passion.

No, I do it for honor and fame!

I must confess, that I am frustrated at the moment. Why should I bother people with my crap, if this can be far better by more talented people? With burying my project noone gets frustrated due to the fact that my module is not working as expected or does not have the "important" features.

solo71
  • 2005/5/18 16:11

• solo71

• Module Developer

lol

To be honest, I haven't tested your module. I don't like to copy peoples' modules features. That's where orginality come from, I guess.

Keep it up, Francis! Or who am I going to challenge otherwise (surely not Marcan's ones, he is out of category)?

ilivanov
  • 2005/5/18 16:38

• ilivanov

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Quote:

solo71 wrote:

Well, this is the first time someone is talking about this kind of problem... I don't think though, that it is a module's job to manage the brandwith. Is'nt this more a server side aspect?

This cant be done in most cases from the servers, most of the XOOPS based sites are hosted on pay to use or free to use providers, not on the local servers.

This was created in CMS module, but cant remeber the name of this CMS, limitation of bandwith for single or group of downloads.

@Solo:
Err... Didn't knew that such module were existing? Isn't this kind of stuff managed by the media itself.

Yeah this module doesnt exist for XOOPS, here is the challenge someone to build it as patch for the one of the existing modules.

@Solo:
I don't think it's necessary to use (censored) words here.

Better to be censored :)

@francis
We all have different approaches what might be useful for a module and this is GOOD.

And cos of this I cant see here the founder of XOOPS 1.xxx, no offence Mith

@francis

Ok, let's change it, it's usefull sometimes, but the situation with this thousands of modules is not good, Debaser 0.92 at the moment is used as Radio Re-transmiter, cos some Bulgarian (f-censored) radiostation limits their access only for residental IP's, eg. Bulgarian citizens can listen BG radio, USA citizens cant (or in my case, Bulgarians who lives in Malta), Debaser sometimes (on some servers works with re-downloading MP3 (Bulgarian Artists to Bulgarian ppl which lives out side bg, and cant get bg ip)

For showing movies RealVideo currently debaser works only, but can u imagine how much TB I have to convert to Real from DivX ?

And again "not usefull" means that cant be used as multimedia manager, at the moment Debaser (more compatible to Linux/Mac users, and I have no opinion to switch to another), MyMedia is something between SmartMedia and Debaser (very early alpha), this QuickTime is the only one Software not very compatible with GNU and BSD, so dont force users to use Windows for server, or even Mac. SmartMedia is a great disapoiment to me, I expect more than this, all other modules are great, but this ....

@francis
To tell you the truth: I am NOT a programmer (earning my money with something else and far better in this job), I just made this for FUN.

Hah, for non-programmer - very good work, not exellent, but very good.
Yeah most of the OpenSource developers works somewhere else and XOOPS and Nuke are only for FUN....

@Solo:
"C'mon Francis. We don't do all this to please people..."
Than for what, to show something can be done, and to abandon it, such as most projects on dev.xoops.org - newbb2.0.2

@davidl2
Grrrr - some people are never happy are they?

It's not like u said, but some ppl prefer to do their jobs with only one CMS, not like some reports from Chinese community - 7 XOOPS for one site, cos of nature of XOOPS - cant support MultiLanguage, or XOOPS for News, Nuke for Downloads, XOOPS 1 cos a Forge nature, eXponnent for startup page, cos is really modular only for one site ...

@david12
Both modules are excellent - and I appreciate the hard work that you both put into them.

Both are 3 at the moment :)

@francis: No, I do it for honor and fame!
Yes, we all here do it for fun, honor and glory...

@solo:
Keep it up, Francis! Or who am I going to challenge otherwise (surely not Marcan's ones, he is out of category)?

Keep both of you even and Marcan, but in the right way - do u remeber Stampede Linux, Stormix Linux, Red Flag, E-XOOPS, H_Xoops and a lot of more which moto was the same as XOOPS - Powered by you, or Builded from ppl to ppl, from users to users, where you will be heared etc, etc. all of them are dead now, buried in History.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits