tvepsorg
Is this legal?
  • 2005/5/3 1:36

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Hello,

I know some people who have some fairly successful businesses, but know absolutely nothing about the internet. They have seen my site and was wanting me to build a site for them. I tried explaining that my site uses XOOPS which is like a pre-written script that I have just customized, but that went way over their heads. They offered me money to build a site for them. Is it legal for me to build sites for money using the XOOPS cms?

jdseymour
Re: Is this legal?

Yes. It is legal. They are paying for your time not for the CMS.

2newbie
  • 2005/5/4 19:34

• 2newbie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/12

HEY JD....True Fact ?

incama
  • 2005/5/4 20:14

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

I guess it's legally okay, as JD said, customers pay for time not for the cms, even if you adjust or alterate parts of the cms, as long you follow the rules of the license which comes with it, in this case the gpl.

Herko
  • 2005/5/4 20:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Yes, JD and Incama are right. In fact, XOOPS is Free Software, but free as in freedom, not gratis. So you can sell the system code as well. No-one will stop you from doing that.

But, you cannot restrict what your clients do with the code, nor can they restrict others if they want to distribute it. The GNU GPL License model is all about the freedom to use the code as you see fit, and granting everyone else this same right. So, use without restrictions, for yourself and anyone else.

One thing you should take note of tho is combinations with non-GPL licensed code, that can be an issue. If this applies to what you're going to do, contact me via PM or e-mail, and we'll discuss the consequences.

Herko

2newbie
  • 2005/5/4 21:12

• 2newbie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/12

Thank you for the explanation. That's good to know for future reference.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/5 5:26

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I only plan to add a theme for the website and then just type the content they need for the site. Nothing special, but these people don't know the first thing about setting up XOOPS or graphics or anything. Thanks for the help.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits