barryc
NewBB2 -can't indicate notification options
  • 2005/5/2 16:31

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have the latest version of newBB2 installed. When I select a notification option, global or for a particular forum, the choice does not "stick". That is, when I come back to the page the checkbox is not checked. I have the correct selections for notification options in prefs. I have a second iteration of newBB2 running on another site on the same server. It works as expected.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this problem, short of uninstalling and reinstalling newBB2, which would mean I'd lose my forum entries, I suppose.

Barry Cooper

Mithrandir
Re: NewBB2 -cant indicate notification options

does everything else you do on the site "stick" ? If it is a new or moved site, maybe you have a firewall blocking the HTTP referer? (Happens all the time for me, when I move sites from test domain to live domain)

barryc
  • 2005/5/2 17:56

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
does everything else you do on the site "stick" ? If it is a new or moved site, maybe you have a firewall blocking the HTTP referer? (Happens all the time for me, when I move sites from test domain to live domain)

Well, this seems to be a problem with XOOPS and not the module itself. Most things on the site "stick", such as posting an article to newBB2 or News (AMS). However, I guess I hadn't tested the latter for notifications, as I post almost all of the News articles myself. I just tried to check Notify me of new posts and it also failed.

As I said, I have another site installed on the same server. In fact, I have two other such sites. My main site (aka.org) is installed at the web server root level, then the two others are installed in subfolders. The notification options works fine in at least the one (nwk.aka.org) I have tested (the other one doesn't have AMS or newBB2 isntalled). I am hoping there isn't a problem installing additional iterations of XOOPS in subfolders that way.

So, as I said, this issue appears to be a problem with Xoops. I am running 2.0.10, but as I remember, this was happening before I upgraded.

Incidentally, another thing I just noticed (I should pay more attention to my own forums) is that the window for messages in newBB2 is too wide, squashing the left blocks to become abnormally narrow (and ugly)

Any suggestions would be welcome. By the way, do you ever sleep?

Barry

Mithrandir

Is the problem confined to the notifications?

Quote:
I am hoping there isn't a problem installing additional iterations of XOOPS in subfolders that way.
there isn't.

Quote:
the window for messages in newBB2 is too wide, squashing the left blocks to become abnormally narrow

What is causing that? An URL, a long code text? Try scrolling down to see the culprit.

Quote:
do you ever sleep?

Nah - I just pass out over the keyboard once in a while

barryc
Re: NewBB2 -can't indicate notification options
  • 2005/5/2 19:58

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:

It appears to be. The only other odd thing I've noticed recently is that the intermediate notification pages (with the "if the page doesn't reload - click here") often come up using the colors from my theme. As the text in the latter is light gray, it makes it hard to read in the top panel, which remains white. The lower, empty panel, is dark blue, per my theme background color. I think these are unrelated problems and, as those pages will be themeable in 2.1, I have been ignoring the latter problem.

Quote:
the window for messages in newBB2 is too wide, squashing the left blocks to become abnormally narrow

Quote:
What is causing that? An URL, a long code text? Try scrolling down to see the culprit.

Damn, some day I will learn to look carefully before complaining. In testing the notifications, I happened to open a very long post. Way down at the bottom there was a long URL, which I hadn't scrolled down to. I shortened it using MakeashorterURL and that fixed it. Sorry about the false alarm.

Barry

barryc
Re: NewBB2 -can't indicate notification options
  • 2005/5/4 20:39

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

barryc wrote:
Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:

It appears to be. The only other odd thing I've noticed recently is that the intermediate notification pages (with the "if the page doesn't reload - click here") often come up using the colors from my theme. As the text in the latter is light gray, it makes it hard to read in the top panel, which remains white. The lower, empty panel, is dark blue, per my theme background color. I think these are unrelated problems and, as those pages will be themeable in 2.1, I have been ignoring the latter problem.

Hi Mith,

I didn't want to let the ball drop on this issue. Any ideas on why I am having this problem with notifications in one of my XOOPS installations? It affects more than one module, so I suspect it is a problem in the XOOPS core functions. As it only affects one instance of a total of four on my server I suspect something has become corrupted.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for what I might try.

/edit/ It occurred to me belatedly to try php debug and mySQl debug to look for the problem, and I found it. Here it is:

SELECT * FROM xoops_xoopsnotifications WHERE (not_modid = 2 AND not_category = 'global' AND not_uid = 1088) ORDER BY not_id ASC
Error number: 1146
Error message: Table 'akassoc_xoop1.xoops_xoopsnotifications' doesn't exist

I confirmed that somehow I've lost my xoops_xoopsnotifications by viewing the tables in myPHPAdmin. So, my question now is, can I create that table within an existing db?

/edit2/ I experimented to confirm that I could copy an empty table from one XOOPS install to another. I then copied xoops_xoopsnotifications to my live site and notifications now work. Given enough time I can sometimes figure these things out.

Thanks for the comments.

Barry

Barry

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits