krooga
Search Engine Optimization
  • 2005/4/4 14:30

• krooga

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/29

Hi guys,
I am writting this thread as I have looked everywhere and i cannot seem to find any info on Search Engine Optimization with Xoops. I have come to a stage where my XOOPS site has alot of content and I am looking to optimize it fully in order to make it more search engine friendly.

Below I will list a few things that I would like to be done, all those things are points which when done can greatly enhance search engine listing.

If there is allready a post on this please forgive me for posting this and kindly point me to the right thread

EXTRA SEO FEATURES

- URL Rewriting,
when browsing an article with the news module, say the title of the article is 'Red widget are the best', the url would ideally read something like:
http://www.mysite.com/modules/news/red_widget_are_the_best.php

This url encoding could also apply to the forums and other modules.

- Page title
When browsing an article, the name of the article could ideally appear in the title along with the category!
EX: The title of the article - Category name

- Meta Tags
If meta tags could be defined for each page as oppose to the global site, if this is possible please do let me know how to accheive this

- Alt Images,
the possibility to place ALT tags in news category images

All those features would be a great start, do let us know if you have other ideas of other DEV that would increase SEO,

Thanks for your time,

Krooga

krooga
Re: Search Engine Optimization
  • 2005/4/5 11:39

• krooga

• Just popping in

Anyone ?

wtravel

Ideally for me, every module will need to be adjusted so they could also run in SEO mode. I like the work that was done in the url rewrite hack, but from a SEO point of view, the urls could be a lot better.

I would also remove the "modules" directory from your example.

Regards,

Martijn

carnuke
  • 2005/4/5 12:01

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

krooga
  • 2005/4/13 14:49

• krooga

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info i'm going to give it a read

Thanks

rob777
  • 2005/4/15 19:12

• rob777

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

I have read the faq and it is basically using the page title as the only extra way to SEO. While newer SE are putting less weight on keywords and such (as they seem to scanning the page it self to deterime results relevence), there are some less used SE that I thik are still using meta keywords and descrpition in their algarithoms. Total SEO to cover the most SEs as possible is the best strategy (in my opinion), if you can get a few visitors a month from those smaller SEs, you have more exposure, as they my reference your site to other people. Right? I think so.

I think the best way to SEO a XOOPS site would be if you could do the following.

1. The module developers would have to include optional fields in the content adding admin section to allow a page title, page desciption, and maybe even page keywords input. Then these meta inputs would be stored in the database with each page.

This would have to be kinda of a standard format that all modules followed, so that XOOPS site builders can just include the fields with the theme template. I don't know if/or what core files would have to be modified to make this work.

<meta name="keywords" content="<{$xoops_meta_keywords}> - [b]<{$xoops_meta_pageid_keywords}>[/b]" />
<
meta name="description" content="<{$xoops_meta_description}> - [b]<{$xoops_meta_pageid_description}>[/b]" />
<
meta name="generator" content="XOOPS" />
<
title><{$xoops_sitename}> - [b]<{$xoops_pageid_title}>[/b]</title>

This way all the meta info will be automatically displayed for each page a xoopser adds to thier site.

But you might have to use an if - else code so that if the person left the fields blank when adding a page, it don't return any errors or anything buggy.

Then also follow the faq linked by carnuke, headings, alt tags, keyword placement, etc.

*warning* I don't know nothing about nothing I can barely use hmtl, so take my opinion for what it's worth. */warning*

Another option, would be if some brillent programmer could write a script and incorparate it into a module that could do the following.

The module would be hidden on users side.
It would scan Center Block Content for keywords and automatically write the meta keyword for each page view.
Would work like google and adsense, but instead of displaying ads, it would place the keywords into the page meta fields. And maybe even compile a description based on the first line of content and write that into meta description field for each page view.

This would probably have to be something small and on the client side, because I think it would probably kill a server with heavy load.

Unless it only redendered the meta fields for bots. Somehow understanding the user agent and recognizing a bot from a human.

Just a thought. This is way over my head, but maybe someone else is smart enough to figure out how to make something like this work.

davidoops
  • 2007/3/4 19:08

• davidoops

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/4 1

I am new to this XOOPS. Is there some guide available online regarding integration of XOOPS and Search Engine Optimization :(
Dave
Search Engine Optimization SEO Marketing Service India

Login

Who's Online

262 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 262

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits