wtravel
Re: efqDirectory

Hi Alan,

I am happy to let you know this feature request is within the scope of the first release. Flexible categories and sorting is something that a lot of users (including myself) would like to see in a directory module.

You will be able to select which fields should be able to function as a filter or which users can sort the output data with per category.

Best wishes,

Martijn

Alan-A
  • 2005/4/2 15:50

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

Martijn, I'm looking forward to it.

Alan

VideoDude
  • 2005/4/2 17:24

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

Martijn, You had mentioned that making monetary contributions to this project would be helpful. I'd like to do send some Drachmas your way if this is something you're still hoping to get. Please let me/us know. If yes, how?

wtravel

Video,

I plan to set up a site for the project, on which I will add the xdonations module, so everyone can see the progress. The site will be live a little bit later, I prefer working on the script first and in the mean time think about the product site

Will keep you posted.

Martijn

wtravel

I have a question regarding flexible fields, with two possible outcomes:

Case #1: flexible fields can be the size of 65,535 characters, but the size will slow down the module when using the search or filter function within efqdirectory. Also getting the data for showing a listing will be slower because of a lack of indexing.

Case #2: flexible fields will have a maximum size of 255 characters. The possibilty of indexing these fields and the smaller size of the column will increase speed dramatically on search and filter funtions, yet the data fields are limited to a smaller size.

I would like to know your preferences so that I can make the decision. My advise would be to use the maximum size of 255 characters because of the speed issue. By default you will have the possibilty to use one big text field for the description of the listing. Any large texts should be added to this field, such as a description of the rooms in case of a hotel listing.

Please let me know what you think about this.

Martijn

tzvook
  • 2005/4/13 11:38

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Hi Martijn .. All

To my opinion 255 chars if good enough for cusum fields
if there's one big field for text.
Since Hotel's was mentioned, I built The Tel-Aviv Jaffa Hotels Asociation website ... not a XOOPS doing, but when dealing with this kind of listing (http://www.telavivhotels.org.il/eng/telaviv.php ) short fields are the target.

P.S.
For this site Iv'e been asked lately to make a page which collects all "special prices" data from the Hotel's listins for those visitors which wants to have a glance in all the hotels "special deals" ... without going to each hotel for it's specials ... good especialy for those who knows the hotels and wants just to see special prices ( take a look @http://www.telavivhotels.org.il/cgi-bin/eng/specials.cgi ) ... so it might be a good feature to tke one field of data and collect it to a "specials" page (which can also link to the "hotel's cupons" too ... or should I say "Business cupons" ... well - just a thought

looks very promising.

tzvook
  • 2005/4/13 12:01

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

One more thought passed my head ... just one
With all those talks about XOOPS direction and future ...

Some of the time module serves the system - the CMS and are one more part of it in the whole picture.
Sometimes there are powerfull modules which (acording to sites needs) the system (xoops) serves them and is actually build for serving them, dealing with the community for them.
A powerfull buisiness directory can be one of those Modules, it can even be a cause for one to move into Xoops...
I.E. sometimes the core is serving the module nad relies on it to represnt it in the outside world.

Well, back to work ...

bjbtexas
  • 2005/4/14 19:00

• bjbtexas

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/3 2

Martijn,

Case #2 sounds great - I vote 255.

VideoDude
  • 2005/4/14 19:25

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

Sorry everyone... Not ignoring the request for input, I'm just a little lost on this "flexible field" concept. I've gone back through the thread trying to gain an understanding, but I'm still not clueing in. If someone can explain... great. Otherwise I defer to the others who have voted for 255.

Kainaij
  • 2005/4/17 9:44

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

A suggestion. I understand that the previous module used yahoo maps as a tool for finding directions to each organization listing, is it possible to use google maps with this one? I ask this because I was toying with it the other day and found the satellite imagery way cool.

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits