• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:

MarcoFr wrote:
hervet suggested a QA module !!!!

Sure, but is that really what you need?

Don't you just need to be able to put in various fields and specify whether a test is passed or failed? I'd suggest using a module like Formulize for this.

Formulize is a module, isn't it ?

Quote:

Quote:

Rowd wrote:
As Mith said, as a checklist of QA tests it's looking really good. The next step is describing each test in more detail, so testers can provide detailed feedback about the test results... though that's just my opinion, of course

It is also my opinion:

i'm waiting for your work !

Quote:

Getting these things up and running should get you started:
1. A checklist of tests
2. An explanatory document, explaining each test and how to perform it
3. A reporting tool - like Formulize - for documenting the test

i will wait for someone else's help !
your help will be helpfull, mith !
marco

Marco
Re: Action Item #1 : let's start !
  • 2005/3/21 22:56

• Marco

• Home away from home

a new version of our work is up
marco

Marco
  • 2005/4/1 11:47

• Marco

• Home away from home

Any news from skalpa's work, so we can work on testing process for V3 ?
Hope a roadmap will be published soon so we can plan how things will go in upcoming months,and adapt our works.

marco

jensclas

Looks good to me!

Dave_L
  • 2005/4/13 23:38

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Sorry for my lack of activity here.

Here are my comments about Xoops_module_testing_process V1.4.zip:

1) Too general; this was supposed to be an example smoketest. It should be specific to an actual module.

2) The smoketest should be limited to functional testing. It should not deal with looking at contents of directories or files, but only with operations (typing in URLs, clicking links or buttons, using online forms, etc.) and the expected results.

I suggest saving this document for later reference (it has a lot of info that will be useful in writing the full certification standard), and starting a new document that contains a specific module's smoketest.

jensclas

I have to pout and stomp here...Nothing like a wet fish in your face after lots of input...I see you apologise but to come in now and say we got it wrong is a bit like arriving after the horse has bolted!

I disagree that this is not appropriate. For starters it was my understanding that testing for functionality would of course include the audience for whom they (modules) function and that is the ordinary folk who know nothing about coding who come along and download and install modules and expect them not only to work, but be clear in instruction of how to get them up and running.
Quote:
1) Too general; this was supposed to be an example smoketest. It should be specific to an actual module.

It is not 'general' but rather as generic as possible. I see absolutely no point in doing half a job - if you are going to test a module then you need to accomodate the variations between them. Otherwise what you are asking for is a specific smoke test for specific modules - sorry I don't believe any of us have the time to design individual tests for individual modules.

Quote:
2) The smoketest should be limited to functional testing. It should not deal with looking at contents of directories or files, but only with operations (typing in URLs, clicking links or buttons, using online forms, etc.) and the expected results.

This makes the whole process pretty useless for ordinary and new users. There are many modules out there with very poor accompanying instructions and what you imply here is that it is not important. As far as I am concerned you can give me the best functioning module in the world, but if it is not clear how to install it and use it then it is pretty useless to me unless I have the time to play, ask questions, and use trial and error. The accompanying contents of directories and files are as important as the operation of the module in my book, and i will be very dieappointed if these are not included in any kind of testing.

The very last thing I want to see happen to this document is to have it placed on the back burner for a while.
(Other things that come to mind but I am too polite to make them public!)

Ok...Ahem....Of my soap box now!

Dave_L
  • 2005/4/14 22:13

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I didn't mean to imply that the contributions in this topic were not useful, but only that they were getting outside the scope of this particular action item.

There's been a lot of useful information presented here. My problem is that I can't keep track of it and organize it.

I figured that a useful approach would be to break down the work into "bite-sized" pieces, each of which is clearly defined. Maybe I'm wrong.

Marco
  • 2005/4/25 22:40

• Marco

• Home away from home

just to remember our goal.

Quote:

Action item #1: Write a smoketest for a module.
The module should be a common one that's widely used and understood. The smoketest doesn't have to be perfect; it's just a starting point. After it's drafted, we'll evaluate it and discuss it.
I think one or two volunteers should be adequate.

I do use this testing process in real life, i.e each time I help module developers (ex: Hervé for news 1.X series, pred for newbb & wfchannel, etc.)
We set a light version of this testing process at french XOOPS support team.
As mentionned before, this testing process should be improved :
- some parts could be moved to another action item.
- some parts could be moved to new spreasheets, so that Dave will be able to read them !!!!

Let's work together !!!

Moreover, I think some of us could help more than today mith with 2.X debug process, even if it deals with core system module...

marco

Marco
  • 2005/5/28 8:27

• Marco

• Home away from home

hy,

what's next ?
shall I publish a new version more user friendly ?
marco

Mithrandir

That's probably a good way to kick-start this again.

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits