Jurgen
PostgreSQL8 Which steps to do for installation
  • 2005/4/11 18:21

• Jurgen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/14

Well, I guess this is still in the running, PostgreSQL support...

We really want to quit MySQL. PHPbb2 runs fine with PostgreSQL, as many other projects. Currenyl we want to write some modules for Xoops.

a) Can You define which steps we need to do to enable postgreSQL to the installation process.
b) Currently we write a dating module. Are there some extended profile modules available ? What do You suggest ?

brash
Re: PostgreSQL8 Which steps to do for installation
  • 2005/4/12 0:31

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

At present only MySQL is supported. Adding support for other DB's is not a trivial task, so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Jurgen
  • 2005/4/12 7:28

• Jurgen

• Just popping in

It is a trivial task, if You use AdoDB. This is stated since a few years in some threads in this board, and still there is no mature support for postgreSQL.

If You read some other posts, there are made promises to realize the pgsql integration.
Ref:https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=552&forum=8

We currently use another CMS, but if XOOPS still lacks support for PostgreSQL, we have no reason to write modules for the CMS too.

PostgreSQL has too many features to take advantage off, as well as a better support for stored procedures, rollback, stability issues and blob/user defined var.

We agree, with AdoDB You have a layer to have transparant access to the SQL database, but other projects can take advantage of the add-in features of this SQL base.

It's pretty uncomfortable to have a need to run two SQL bases, if You need only one, and it sucks resources on the server.

m0nty
  • 2005/4/12 7:40

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

like said, only MySQL is supported.

that doesn't mean that other databases will not be supported in the future but not in the near future.

i read some1 has done some exctensive hacks to make it work with MSsql tho..

if you are good with php & pGSql, maybe you should enquire about helping fulfill your needs and work on implementing PG support yourself along with the core devs, who i think would gladly accept any help in development for multi database support.. it's a community effort, there hasn't been much call for other db support other than the odd few here and there requesting it.. your help in doing this would be welcomed in my opinion if you're willing to help that is..

Jurgen
  • 2005/4/12 7:54

• Jurgen

• Just popping in

Yes, We have planned to write some modules for XOOPS as a dating module and to extend the possibilities of the profiles etc, because You need the latter for the first.

Indeed we develop mainly on PostgeSQL bases because MySQL has major drawbacks, especially to fault resolving (roll back) and
stored procedures. In fact, we have discussed this issue heavely with the MySQL Dev team, and future releases of MySQL will support stored procedures... Every major SQL database uses stored procedures and it is a great function to improuve development and to improuve security to the SQL data.

We didn't look to the code of Xoops, yet. But it should work with AdoDB anyway. This layer will create a transparant layer to the SQL database access. If the xxxnuke CMS are using this class, why should XOOPS go to another direction ? A sql transparency layer is a need for portability.

My question simply points to the direction, we would see a section on XOOPS which discuss PostgreSQL installation, the hacks to make, so we can dig into the source to clean out portability issues.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits