greeny
Hotmail Users
  • 2005/4/6 18:05

• greeny

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/6 1

Ok How Can I Make It So That Hotmail Users Get The Registration Email In There Inbox Instead Of Their Junkmail.

-DJNZ-
Re: Hotmail Users
  • 2005/4/6 23:35

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

You need to set up SPF for your domain.

brash
  • 2005/4/7 0:32

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Cool, I'm definately going to have to check this out . I've just been using my ISP's mail server as a smart host to get around this.

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/4/7 0:52

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

brash this may help you.

brash
  • 2005/4/7 1:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Thanks -DJNZ- . I've only been using the basic interface at DynDNS to date, time to throw myself in the deep end . Can't beleive that I spent hours trying to find a solutions to this problem 6 months ago, and here it is just a simple DNS configuraton issue. I use Exchange 2003 and I went around all the big excahnge support sites and they said it was simply due to my IP address being a dynamic IP and there was nothing I could do about it. I just set my server to use Smart host to bypass it and didn't give it much more thought.

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/4/7 3:27

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

Oh, if you do have a dynamic IP for your server then even with SPF you will have a different problem. MSN/Hotmail (and AOL) block email from servers without reverse DNS and, basically, you can't implement reverse DNS for a dynamically allocated IP. More about this at the excellent DNSstuff.com site.

What you need to do is set up XOOPS to send mail using your ISPs SMTP login (as I presume you have already). You can then create a SPF record

it-hq.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 include:myisp.com"

which will make any server which is valid for sending mail from myisp.com valid for sending mail from it-hq.org.

Beware that you may be infringing your agreement with your ISP by using its SMTP as a mail relay like this, although in practice you are a lot less likely to cause them a problem than a home user with a worm. However, the 'right' way to do it is either to get a line with a static IP with reverse DNS provided by the ISP, or to use a hosted server.

Good luck!

greeny
  • 2005/4/9 2:54

• greeny

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/6 1

Very Cool Any One Know Of A Hot Or Not Script For xoops?

jctsup1
  • 2005/4/9 5:37

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

-DJNZ-

Quote:

-DJNZ- wrote:
it-hq.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 include:myisp.com"

Wouldn't this allow anyone from his ISP to send mail with forged headers?

Thank you for the information on this --- I have setup records for all my mail domains and hope this catches on in the industry.

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/4/10 1:29

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

Quote:

jctsup1 wrote:
Wouldn't this allow anyone from his ISP to send mail with forged headers?

Well yes, but as he doesn't have a fixed IP for his own domain, he has to route his email through some other domain's mail server and his ISP seems like the best choice. Every ISP would come down very hard on a user found forging another customer's mail headers, and it would be really easy to trace. Nothing stops anyone from sending mail with forged headers - SPF just makes that mail look like spam to SPF-aware spam filters.

Quote:

jctsup1 wrote:
Thank you for the information on this --- I have setup records for all my mail domains and hope this catches on in the industry.

Thanks for your comments. I have mixed feelings about SPF (seehttp://spf.pobox.com/objections.html), but with MSN/Hotmail and AOL demanding it, the objections are now irrelevent - if you want your email to get through, you need SPF.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits