tvepsorg
Decode MD5 Passwords ???
  • 2005/3/16 16:29

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Don't know if this is correct or not, but when I got into phpmyadmin and look at the tables for users, I only see MD5 codes for their passwords and not the actual password. I know I can reset a user's password, but I don't want to do that. The reason I want to know is so that when someone says they are experiencing an error on the site I like to log in with their account using the browser they use so I can see exactly what they see, and I don't want to make them to change their password each time. It would be nice to just find the password and login as them. Is it possible to decode the MD5 or is there another way to find out what the password is?

wtravel
Re: Decode MD5 Passwords ???

Hi,

You can create a test account for yourself as a regular registered user. Then you would have the same rights and you will be able to solve the problem in most cases.

In my opinion, a webmaster should not be allowed to know a user's password in any case, unless there is absolutely no other solution.

edited: MD5 passwords are not made to be decoded. There is no standard solution for decoding them.

Martijn

Dave_L
  • 2005/3/16 18:36

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

You could save the current encrypted password (copy it to a text file), reset the password so you can log in as that user, and then restore the original password when you're finished.

Bender
  • 2005/3/16 20:04

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Login

Who's Online

451 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 451

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits