astaldaran
Xoops RPG engine
  • 2005/3/3 23:19

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/9 1

hello everyone, over the last month or so I have thought about
creating a browser based rpg (examples off browser based games include things like Legend of the Green dragon) for my website
and some otheres have aproached me about making a rpg system for them. I ofcourse love XOOPS so I was thinking about a module and I was thinking I'd want to make it so that the people I made it for could use it without code (well most of the time) or at least only basic code so that the project could grow without me having to be invovled.

Anyway yesturday I had a day off completly do to snow and so I sat down and started designing a system to do such a thing, than I realized such a system could be used for many rpg's people would like to create and so I decided to make it a little more flexible than it already was and aim my sites at creating a XOOPS rpg engine and not anyone rpg.

I spent my day figuring out how everything would work writing on several dozen pieces of paper and today I fixed and added some stuff plus mapped out database tables.

I am planning on putting the documentation on the computer in the near future but a summary of how it works is like this.

The admin side creates races,classes,items, skills by filling in certain information and selecting certain effects (for example an effect that heals, improves some stat, etc) depending on what it is they are making. The admin also makes locations and chooses certain "Default" events that take place and can add text or some code if they feel like it or if they want to take complete control the location can be based off a file. Anyway the locations can be in two different states (without adding code) depending on certain conditions (such as level, item in inventory, etc) thus creating an easy user "if then else" statement. Than links are added between the different locations.

Effects/events/conditions (wether skill effects, item effects, etc) are individualy coded in files under a certain directory (for skill effects they are under the skills directory). In any case this allows a non-programmer to create items( for example) and stuff and simply assign it effects and give the effects paremters (if required) and so basic games and most add-ons and such require no coding. However anyone who can at least code basic php can follow some guidelines and easily create new effects and such for the game to use.

All this serves to create a very powerful game engine that should allow programmers and non-programmers to make browser based games easier.

I know the above is a bit vague but it would take to long to describe how it technicly works, but I hope you get the idea. If you have any questions please ask them. I will eventualy be posting a link to documentation on how it is all going to work and such.

I am posting this to ask if any developers are interested in helping me in this project. I have a huge portion of the design done so it really just has to be turned into code and more people would make that faster.

Please comment!

ps: I forgot to mention that this module will also have support for a premium membership type service so that if you want you can limit parts of your game to premium members only (such as locations, skills, classes, etc) or even give them other bonuses such as %5 more xp from every battle, etc.

Ok i better stop rambling now...

Bassman
Re: Xoops RPG engine
  • 2005/3/3 23:51

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

This is an awesome idea. I have played LOGD before, it's cool. While I can't program PHP as such, I have hacked scripts into XOOPS modules before and I could possibly give you a hand, and I would definitely be up for testing :)

michieltokyo

We could help with the Japanese translation and Dutch translations. For coding I am not much use. I am handy with photoshop, if you need some graphs let me know

astaldaran
  • 2005/3/4 3:05

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

Thanks for your input so far, I am currently writing a technical overview for developers who are interested in the project. I am on page six right now...

This will be my fourth XOOPS module, though none of mine previously have been publicaly released (since they are really geared for my site and probably wouldn't be useful to most others). It will invlove some new stuff though since I haven't tried working with Xoop user groups but hey can't be that hard;)

astaldaran
  • 2005/3/4 3:48

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

Well here is that technical document over view. It however is still missing most of the sql tables, I still need to copy them onto computer. However they wouldn't help you at a first glance anyway.

Quote:
This document is a technical overview of the Xrpg module. This document while containing no code or even coding guidelines is a blue print for how Xrpg works. Thus the code (which will be documented in another document) will be designed around the theories and principles set out with in this document.

Technical Overview

Matt_T_hat
  • 2005/3/8 10:43

• Matt_T_hat

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/9

Might I suggeest a project (at source forge) called Phaos. I've worked with it already and it is great to develop with. I've added a number of interesting extras myself and to be honest I'm an ASP guy PHP is hard work.

Bassman
  • 2005/3/8 11:30

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

That's a mighty impressive document. If you can keep up that standard of work throughout the project, it will be a very well-made module. If only all modules were so well-thought out!

dilbert166
  • 2005/3/8 13:25

• dilbert166

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

i must say that the effort so far is quite impressive. the document shows that you put a lot of consideration into the project. though i´m not a php-programmer (no programmer at all, really), i´d still like to offer my help to create a localized german version.
i´m really looking forward to such a module. i´m running a small pen&paper-rpg site and this would just be the sugar on top. if you need beta-testers for it, bump me a note

astaldaran
  • 2005/3/9 3:30

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

well glad to see people are interested, written a couple hundred lines of code over the last two days so it is on its way. It was put off for today and probably tomorrow for a quick module install/modification/setup on my site but work will continue tomorrow evening or the next day.

Some things have changed since the documentation was last uploaded. New documentation (more complete too) will be loaded probably next week.

As far as building locations and stuf I'm not sure yet... that whole idea is going to be rethought out.

In any case innitial Alpha release will probably early may... (maybe a little before:) )

than again it could be sooner...

Once most of the actual module code is complete (or at least thouroughly designed) it will be useful for some people to write out what starting effects should do and than turning them into code should not be too hard. (I want the module to ship with starting stuff so that people can use that without making their own)

In anycase I will keep you informed from time to time.

Rhomal
  • 2005/3/9 4:54

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

I posted a idea a while back that I thought it would be interesting to have a XOOPS specific php web game that based your charactor off of your newbb2 RPG msg forum stats.

That aside, very nice work. Back in the day I helped develop a BBS and door games for it. I created the char stat/combat system from scratch. If you need any help do let me know I'd be happy to assist.

:)

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits