antis
Re: Html editor to modify theme.html?
  • 2005/2/22 22:37

• antis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/6 1

Quote:

brash wrote:
I use Crimson Editor which is a great freeware editor for Windows. Very powerful.

is this editor WYSIWYG?

JasonMR
  • 2005/2/22 22:49

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

No, besides, WYSIWYG is a VERY bad idea for working with themes.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

rowdie
  • 2005/2/22 22:56

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Quote:

JasonMR wrote:
No, besides, WYSIWYG is a VERY bad idea for working with themes.

It's not bad when used in combination with code view. Dreamweaver is excellent in this way, it allows you to code the html directly, and look at the design view (WYSIWYG) to see the results. Very handy.

jdseymour

Yes, but if using Dreamweaver, save the file then upload by ftp. I have seen too many strange errors when people use Dreamweaver for FTP.

LazyBadger

Quote:

rowdie wrote:
Dreamweaver is excellent in this way, it allows you to code the html directly, and look at the design view (WYSIWYG) to see the results. Very handy.

It knows nothing abount smarty and can only perform poor rendering of table, nothing more!!!
Most design is CSS-based, all graphic referenced in smarty-tag... DW is useless, at least I prefer debug theme on real XOOPS site and use ordinary text-editor + TopStyle for CSS (but can do CSS even without it... in "Try&See" mode)

rowdie
  • 2005/2/23 0:31

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

You can link a css file with the html file in dreamweaver. I only use CSS for style and positional elements in my designs, which is easy to do in Dreamweaver.

@jdseymour
I agree, the ftp facility in Dreamweaver is very dodgy. I use a separate ftp program.

JasonMR
  • 2005/2/23 2:15

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

In the end it all comes down to personal preference!

Personaly: I wouldn't touch Dreamweaver with a 10foot pol!

May I mention my favourite editor HTML kit, as noticed amongst those working on the Theme Forge, a very popular tool amongst theme designers

By the way, the (future) XOOPS Theme Forge will have a special section, looking at the multitude of editors, and other tools....so get excited (though it will still take a little while...but a couple of people are working hard on it; anyone who would like to contribute, contact me!)

jpco_122122

Yes, I've been using Macromedia Dreamweaver and it's realy very useful u can see the page what u are doing at the same time u have to split it up so u can also view the code. FTP in dreamweaver is not my recommend because it causes to many errors so u have to manually save your file in a folder and use FTP Explorer or WS_FTP these are freeware and this is my recommendation for u because it works for me better.

monde
  • 2005/2/23 7:02

• monde

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/15

Being a beginner, I use Dreamweaver to visually edit tables for my XOOPS files and labouriously strip out any style tags it inserts.
As I'm learning, I see the limitations of using Dreamweaver for anything to do with XOOPS because of its lack of smarty support. I know there's a module that makes smarty tags show up as valid html tags under Dreamweaver, but it's quite useless for me, since I just want a quick WYSIWIG table tool for layout purposes.

I also use EditPlus to do simple modifications.
I noticed HTML-Kit a few posts above and am going to try that out.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits