mouacy
Is this server good for hosting XOOPS?
  • 2005/2/22 8:27

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/11/2

I am hosting my XOOPS site with this server:

http://www.canaca.com the silver package.

My site is very slow at time and then very fast at time. I don't know what is going on.

XOOPERS, do you think this server and the package is good for hosting XOOPS?

luciano
Re: Is this server good for hosting XOOPS?
  • 2005/2/22 8:45

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

400Gig transfer, 20Gig storage????? To be honest... I have never seen such a deal! Sorry for you that they are not so stable.

Do you need that much space?

Herko
  • 2005/2/22 8:49

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

The silver account will do fine (it has PHP and MySQL). It is a lot of space and bandwidth, and it doesn't come with XOOPS (apparently), but it'll do fine. If you don't need that much space and bandwidth, I can recomment Surpass Hosting.

Herko

luciano
  • 2005/2/22 8:59

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

Herko: He already has an account @ Canaca. I think that they are saving money on connections.

mouacy
  • 2005/2/22 20:45

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

They already suspended me early this morning:

Your site is overloading the server,
Please check and solve the problem otherwise we be will forced to suspend your account
/var/www/html/modules/eCal/display.php
/var/www/html/modules/khat/post.php
/var/www/html/modules/khat/chataction.php

I'm getting my money back. I have information from other sources that canaca.com sucks on loading time. Their server is slow.

I whink I will go back to startlogic.com since most of my data are still there.

Staren
  • 2005/2/22 20:45

• Staren

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/21

They give you that much space, but limit you on sub-domains? Doesn't sound totaly above board to me. I'd rather have and uptime grarentee then what is basicly unlimited space.

WallStArb
  • 2005/2/22 21:13

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

XOOPS is pretty slow many modules are poorly written and eat up a lot of datbase transactions... much more then needed. If this is goign to be a commercial application I suggest at some point in the future looking to get your own server and putting it in a colo.

All those companies that sell shared space over sell, and the servers are normally one P4 shared amount 50 - 500 accounts, each with website etc. You'll need SSH access to install, many places will not allow SSH. But here's my site we're still developing and its running on a dedicated P4 3.0 Ghz with hyperthreading and 1GB ram on a direct to the net 10MBS connection. Its really memory and CPU intensive.

http://www.sluse.com/

If your colo uses cPanel there's a way to get the CPU load and the memory load. CHeck it out. Also ask your colo how many accounts are shared on the server and what type of server is it... I'd hope its a dual P4 2.8 or better with 2GB ram

Vionetwork
  • 2005/2/22 22:46

• Vionetwork

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/4 2

Ya, Canaca sucks, there servers are overloaded, I have been through alot of hosts, but if you want a "big" hosts that is pretty good try www.ExistHosting.com

They host me right now since my old host(Surpasshosting) Couldn't keep up with my site growing, but ExistHosting seems to be doing...just fine.

mouacy
  • 2005/2/22 22:50

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks, Vionetwork. I like their offer. I will contact them and find more information.

brash
  • 2005/2/22 23:44

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

There is only so much you can do in a shared hosting situation, but it is always very worthwhile investing significant time in performance tuning Xoops. By this I basically mean the less processing the server has to do, and the less data it has to send is going to result in greater performance. Sounds simple, but it can be a bit of a juggling act in gettting the content you want on your page, and in the way you want it without sacrificing too much in the performance stakes. Have a look at the Page Timer and MySQL query counter I wrote a while ago which should be able to help track down server side processing bottlenecks.

Login

Who's Online

250 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 250

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits