tedsmith
Width of NewBB2
  • 2005/2/19 14:26

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Hi

I've just chnaged my theme from the Zaja-System to 'Doggie' (no chuckling please!!).

One of my users has very kindly pointed out to me that with a screen res of 1024 X 768 the right hand column of my site get split and no longer fully fits on the screen.

Now, I'm rubbish with this kind of thing, but the style.css of the theme has a 100% setting for the width, which I assumed automatically meant that whatever screen res is used, the content is squizzed into it?

So I then looked at the newbb.css file and there was nothing obvious to me that affected this.

However, I read this post which suggested that the problem is theme dependant and not dependant on the NewBB css. When you visit the home page of the site though, all fits perfectly, even at 1024 X 768.

I'm confused. Can anyone tell me how I can get NewBB to fit properly within my theme?

Thanks

Ted

rabideau
Re: Width of NewBB2
  • 2005/2/19 14:44

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Hi Ted,

Look for width=999px style commands. If these are in sub tables (not the top-level table) you may be encountering a page width overflow issue.

I recommend using width= 99% style commands instead of the width= 999px style. IE seems not to know how to count pixels (px); or atleast it counts differently from the mozilla family of browsers.

Having looked at your code you might check these css features:

<td id="centercolumn"> -- check the width definition of any in your style sheet.

You also have a number of photos in your page that may have a negative impact on the width.

Having said that your page looks fine when you use a real browser like FireFox!!!!

tedsmith
  • 2005/2/19 14:58

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks Rabideau

I've looked in style.css and done a search for centercolumn and found the following :

td#centercolumn th {background-color: #55331A; color: #FFFFFF; vertical-align: middle;}
td#centerCcolumn {padding: 0px 3px 1px 3px;}
td#centerCcolumn legend.blockTitle {padding: 3px; color: #4A3108; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px;  margin-left: 0px;}
td#centerCcolumn div.blockContent {border-left: 1px solid #4A3108; border-right: 1px solid #4A3108; border-bottom: 1px solid #4A3108; padding: 3px; margin-right: 0px;  margin-left: 0px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 120%;background-color: #FFF3D0;}

Much of the values there are px but do not appear to relate to the width specifically.

The only one's I can find relating to width are :

table {width100%; margin0padding0font-size12px}
table td {padding0border-width0vertical-aligntopfont-familyVerdanaArialHelveticasans-serif;}
td#leftcolumn {width: 170px; font-size:12px; border: 1px solid #55331A;}
[
b]td#rightcolumn {width: 170px; border: 1px solid #55331A; font-size:12px;}[/b]
td#centerLcolumn {width: 50%; padding: 0px 3px 0px 0px;}

Would it be fair to say the one in bold could be the one to change? If so, what does 170px convert into percentage wise?

Help appreciated as always

tedsmith
  • 2005/2/19 17:48

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Actually, I think we can forget that lot? I just noticed that using both IE and Mozialla Firefox the right column is split beyond the wdith of the screen when you actually view a topic. The forums themselves are fine, but it's when you actually select a topic to read that the problem happens. Weird?

Any clues?

larrymac
  • 2005/2/19 17:57

• larrymac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/6 1

Obviously, converting 170px to a percentage is dependant upon the screen res (on a 1024x768 it would be right around 17%). Did you edit the CSS sheet for the forum itself? I started down that road, but quickly realized I'd have to either let anything I put in the center inherit the same settings(if it used the same classes) or create new classes and edit every template in the message board. My point is, if you tweaked that at all, you'll also have to adjust it in the other templates...which is daunting.

tedsmith
  • 2005/2/19 18:03

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Nope, I've not made any changes to the NewBB CSS file (newbb.css).

I'm guessing that somewhere in my theme files (style.css) there will be a setting particularily for NewBB topics while being read? The creators of themes do try to set values for the core modules don't they?

larrymac
  • 2005/2/19 18:07

• larrymac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/6 1

I'm too new to answer that one. With newbbex I wasn't even able to find newbbex.css - I had to create classes in style.css and then edit that classes that were being used by the module (which is why I eventually gave up).

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits