Kovan
Re: Group Permissoins
  • 2005/2/19 2:45

• Kovan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/5 1

LOL. I just read your post about reading all the docs and readme. I read the read me and did what it said but it still didn't work.

Kansas

jdseymour

Did you run the upgrade script?

Kovan
  • 2005/2/19 2:47

• Kovan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/5 1

Ok I think I have it working. I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It looks ok now.

Kansas

jegelstaff

There is a hack for newbb (NOT for newbb2) which allows you to have private forums that only certain groups can see. So you do have to create multiple groups and assign specific users to them, in order to control people's access, but by configuring the forum system to only display certain forums to certain groups, you achieve true private forums.

I discovered just now that the hack is currently not available for download anywhere, it seems. So I've put it up on the Freeform Solutions web server. You can get a copy here:

http://www.freeformsolutions.ca/h_x2-0-6_mod_newbb.zip

Note there is a file in there called hack.html which is rudimentary documentation about the hack. (There is a Japanese version of that file too.)

There are some modifications to this hack that you might want to consider. In the admin/admin_priv_forums.php file, you may want to remove the 100 pixel restriction on the width of the list of groups (long group names cannot be read otherwise). Remove the following text around line 423:

style="width: 100px;"

And you may wish to change the default posting permission to Can Post (by default groups that you give permission to access a private forum still cannot post there!). To allow groups that you give access to a private forum to also be able to post there by default, change the 0 to a 1 in this code, around line 129:

This:

VALUES ($forum, $curr_groupid, 0)";

becomes this:

VALUES ($forum, $curr_groupid, 1)";

Hope this is useful to you (or someone). Take it easy,

--Julian

limecity
  • 2005/2/19 18:18

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

ah thanks for informing about this hack. I waited a longggggggg time for it. thank you. I will try it out in a few days time. wait till my router is fix.

jegelstaff
Re: Private Notifications Patch for newBB 1

Hello,

We recently discovered a "hole" in the private forum logic in newbb 1, with regard to notifications. Global level notifications are sent to all users, regardless of whether or not they have access to the forum or not.

So any user can request to be notified of all posts (with full text even) and receive notifications for all forums, even private ones they have no access to.

Obviously, that is not acceptable. We have made a patch for newBB 1 that fixes this problem:

http://www.freeformsolutions.ca/newbb_priv_notification_patch.zip

It works nicely alongside the other private forum patch above that properly restricts access to and display of private forums, but does not affect this notification issue. But this patch will also work just fine even if you have not installed the other patch; the two patches modify different files independently of each other.

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits