Jackwan
Performance Tuning
  • 2004/10/9 15:10

• Jackwan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/8 2

My XOOPS web site has a performance issue, even with very little traffic. Some times when I perform admin tasks, I have to wait for a long time to return to operation. Such as edit a block and return to block menu.

Before the hosting company put in more memory, it was even worse. It broke down often because some other users on that server did a lot of sql inquiries. Even after the upgrades, performance is sluggish.

What I want to know is:

Is there any way to tune up the XOOPS performance from admin point of view? I have heard using the default theme is one.

At what level you should switch to a dedicated host? I have heard from other forums that some times is necessary.

Is higher priced hosting service provide better performance? Before I switch service, I'd like to know your experience.

Thanks.

ackbarr
Re: Performance Tuning

you can try a more aggresive caching scheme to reduce the # of sql queries needed to display your page. Be careful though, of caching modules whose output changes based on user classifications (users see one thing, module admins see another, etc). Instead try caching blocks, like the 'Top Posters' block on this site that show up on every page and have to work with the database.

ackbarr
Re:Performance Tuning

also from your description, it sounds like your hosting company has overloaded the server than runs your site. Before you jump to a different company however, first politely ask if your site can be transferred to a server with a lower load (if they have more than one)

Jackwan
Re:Performance Tuning
  • 2004/10/9 17:53

• Jackwan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/8 2

Thanks,

I have asked the hosting company regarding moving the host. They told me its going to be fixed with the additional hardware they has installed. Its been 2 days since and I am much better than before, still some times I got stuck.

Ok, So I turned on the cache in the block. Here is what I did:

On lessor traffic blocks, I set the cache longer. Like my custom blocks, it will not change often and I am the only one going to access it, I set it for 3 days or a week.

The Top link and Top News section, I update it every day or approve news on daily basis I set the cache 5 hours.

The Top posts may have hourly additions or even shorter (on my site), I set the cache 1 min.

Is that correct logic to set the caches?

thebigkk
  • 2005/2/16 8:34

• thebigkk

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/10/27

I'm in a similar situation too. I installed phpsysinfo and notice that the amount of ram used sits at about 96-98% of the 512 available. Is this normal? will the server use all the memory that is available to it?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers

brian100
  • 2005/2/16 16:05

• brian100

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/7 2

I'm using "budget" shared hosting and I've never noticed the ram usage on their server go as high as 40%. 512mb ram sounds weak for shared hosting (if that's what you have). It might be more than enough to host a site via your broadband connection on a home computer...

As far as the first post considering a dedicated host--unless you have REALLY heavy traffic, I wouldn't go that route. I'd keep insisting that my hosting company do something (upgrade, move my site to another server). If that doesn't solve your problem in a hurry, try another hosting company.

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits