larrymac
HTML Tables vs. Xoops
  • 2005/2/14 4:30

• larrymac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/6 1

I've been searching for an answer and all I've managed to find is a few references to "being careful" when creating content that is laid out with tables in Xoops. My only remaining problem is that there is a GIANT gap above the table. This has happened in every module I've tried (TinyContent, AMS and Edito to name a few).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

WarDick
Re: HTML Tables vs. Xoops
  • 2005/2/14 5:45

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Exact pixel placement is possible with css. You should be able to achieve the results you are after. Look at the css files of the theme you are using.

larrymac
  • 2005/2/15 6:22

• larrymac

• Just popping in

Can I insert the CSS code into the WYSIWYG? Or do I need to edit the files in the theme or module(s)? I admit it...I'm an old-timer who still uses tables (heck, I just broke myself out of using frames). and my CSS skills are weak to say the least.

Also, when determining the pixels for absolute placement, is it within the entire screen or just the center section that the module is displaying its info in? Will it get screwed up based on screen/display sizes?

Sorry for all the questions...

sunsnapper

Many themes use tables. It shouldn't be a problem.

It appears the XOOPS default theme at this site uses tables.

PHPKAOX (I think it is still a theme that is provided with Xoops) uses tables.

Karate Redux Blue uses tables. Actually, I think the majority of themes are table layouts.

I would recommend learning not to use tables, not because of Xoops, but, because it is better xhtml.

But, tables are fine.

sunsnapper

Oh, wait, I see what you are saying. You aren't talking about theme layout, you are talking about adding additional content using one of the editors.

You do not need to use CSS, but, you would want to make sure nothing in the CSS for your theme is overriding your intended result.

One way to do this would be to put tags like this in your code:
<div class="custom">
a bunch of table stuff here
</div>

Then in the CSS for your theme you could add styles for your customer class.

If you prefer, you can add CSS at the tag level (but, it is sloppy). It is called and inline style... it defeats one of the advantages of CSS, so it's not recommended... but, OK.

You would add a style attribute, like this
<table style="position: relative; left: 10px; top: 10px;">

Either should work.

highlander
  • 2005/2/15 7:59

• highlander

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/5

Hi Larrymac,

Before rushing off and buying an book on css (which will work !) try and remove the line-breaks form your content in the wysiwyg-editor.

Finding the line-breaks can be hard in the editor itself because the line-break might be at the end of a line anyway. In your favourite text-editor this should be easier.

This technique has worked well for me in removing the large gap before the table.

Because I don't use tables often I haven't investigated this any further. If and when I do I will post the results here.

Greetings Highlander

larrymac
  • 2005/2/15 15:34

• larrymac

• Just popping in

Highlander, you're a lazy man's savior! It makes for some sloppy code (since it's now one giant run-on line of HTML tags) but it worked great. Once I get everything up and running I'll be revisiting some of these pages to play with using CSS to do it correctly, but for the time being it works!

Sunsnapper: question on relative placement (I've never quite gotten my brain around this). That basically places it where it would normally and then moves it however far you specify, right? If so, isn't it vulnerable to varying display sizes?

Thanks again for all the help everybody.

sunsnapper

Relative or absolute... up to you.

Relative is relative to the container an item is in.

Absolute is relative to the page.

I chose relative in the example because you were talking about adding a table within the existing layout. Absolute could cause your table not to flow within your layout (though if you put the correct offsets in, then it would look fine). So, I suggested relative in the example just to make it simpler for you.

This would all be based on the assumption that I am understanding relative and absolute... which I am unable to guarantee.

solo71
  • 2005/2/15 23:33

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Have you tested with Edito 2.3, including the Koivi editor. It works perfectly well.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits