guapo
Banner Manager module
  • 2004/9/5 13:48

• guapo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/29

Hi all,

I'm a true newbie to Xoops, so please be patient

I'm looking for a module to manage banners but with more functionality than the core banners module (again, I'm a newbie, so maybe I don't understand the full extent of the module).

What I'm looking for is to set "classes" or "types" of banners i.e. "468x60", "60wide", etc and to assign these banner types to appropriate blocks. That's what I'm used to but maybe XOOPS has a different way to render the same functionality...

Thanks again,
Claudio

exbanious
Re: Banner Manager module
  • 2004/9/5 15:25

• exbanious

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/30

try phpadsnew. its a stand-alone ads management system that has been ported over to xoops. It should be available in the downloads section. It has a slight learning curve, but there is a novel like manual you can download for it to.

noisia
  • 2004/9/7 2:05

• noisia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/24

I have tried to install phpadsnew, but do not get very far. The module shows up with a question mark in my modules installation page.

Even the download of phpadsnew is not very clear, so perhaps i downloaded one that is not XOOPS compatible.

Can anybody suggest where to download and how to install with xoops.

The phpadsnew manual does not mention anything about xoops.

Best Regards,

Marco

rolmar1
  • 2004/9/7 4:30

• rolmar1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 4

Claudio,

You should look into phpadsnew, it works great as a stand alone software (althogh it seems to have been ported as a XOOPS module, but I have not tried it as such), it will manage classes and types as you describe. I a have been using it for almost 2 years. You can be embed the code for the banners in either your theme.html file or into a module such as tinyD. It has excelent documentation, it requires a litle bit of reading and a little bit of trial and error, but it definetly is worth the time and effort. You can see it working at www.matamoros.com, the reloading of the banners is done by placing the actual banners in separate pages and reloading them at a fixed interval of time via javascript, and calling the pages on an I-frame on the theme.html file as well as in various tinyD modules.

Hopes this helps.

Saludos from Mexico
Rolando

thedocks
  • 2004/9/7 9:15

• thedocks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 7

I installed phpadsnew yesterday and it works great. The only integration with XOOPS is the ability to click install in the admin menu and then use the link in modules to open the phpadsnew control panel.

It does take a lot of getting used to and if you dont need anything fancy then this would be way over the top for you.

However once you have setup a user account and created a banner or two, simply use the option to generate banner code (I use the java script option).

to display the banner on Xoops. Go to banners in the admin panel. Create a new banner and in the HTML code section paste the code generated by phpadsnew

You only need to create one banner in xoops, this will display all banners from phpadsnew (as per your settings).

guapo
  • 2004/9/7 12:56

• guapo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/29

Thanks to all! I am giving a try to phpadsnew. You are correct about the learning curve... I'm still not through it but I see how this is a very good banner management solution.

Thanks again.
Claudio

noisia
  • 2004/9/7 23:08

• noisia

• Not too shy to talk

Hi All,

I managed to get phpadsnew installed in my xoops. Last time, I must have downloaded the non-xoops version, so that is why I did not get very far.

Now I'm puzzling on the configuration, but it all seems doable.

Thanks for the advice.

Best Regards,

Marco

twitaman
  • 2005/2/13 18:18

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I think I will try installing phpadsnew, but I do not want to install the phpadsnew module on the XOOPS site because it does not seem to be the latest version and it's unfortunately confusing. Hell, you cannot even tell easily which version you're supposed to download here -- what a shame.

Anyway, if I install it as a stand-alone from the phpads site will I have to install it as a separate database or is it part of my XOOPS database?

Quote:

thedocks wrote:
I installed phpadsnew yesterday and it works great. The only integration with XOOPS is the ability to click install in the admin menu and then use the link in modules to open the phpadsnew control panel.

It does take a lot of getting used to and if you dont need anything fancy then this would be way over the top for you.

However once you have setup a user account and created a banner or two, simply use the option to generate banner code (I use the java script option).

to display the banner on Xoops. Go to banners in the admin panel. Create a new banner and in the HTML code section paste the code generated by phpadsnew

You only need to create one banner in xoops, this will display all banners from phpadsnew (as per your settings).

noisia
  • 2005/2/13 22:46

• noisia

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Twitaman,

Quote:
Anyway, if I install it as a stand-alone from the phpads site will I have to install it as a separate database or is it part of my XOOPS database?

You indeed need to set up a separate MySQL database for PHPads. The only integration with XOOPS is that you see it in the admin as a separate button.

In order to get the PHPAds into your XOOPS pages, you need to generate invocation codes from PHPAds into any of your XOOPS blocks.

PHPAds is not really straightforward to grasp in the beginning, but it is extremely powerful.

Good Luck...

twitaman
  • 2005/2/17 23:03

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I got phpAdsNew set up correctly but how do you get your banners to show in TinyD? What is TinyD? Does it create blocks or something where I can place the code for my banners?

Why can't you just place the code in a custom block you create? What's the advantage of using TinyD?

Quote:

rolmar1 wrote:
Claudio,

You should look into phpadsnew, it works great as a stand alone software (althogh it seems to have been ported as a XOOPS module, but I have not tried it as such), it will manage classes and types as you describe. I a have been using it for almost 2 years. You can be embed the code for the banners in either your theme.html file or into a module such as tinyD. It has excelent documentation, it requires a litle bit of reading and a little bit of trial and error, but it definetly is worth the time and effort. You can see it working at www.matamoros.com, the reloading of the banners is done by placing the actual banners in separate pages and reloading them at a fixed interval of time via javascript, and calling the pages on an I-frame on the theme.html file as well as in various tinyD modules.

Hopes this helps.

Saludos from Mexico
Rolando

Login

Who's Online

256 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 256

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits