psychicadvis
Wicth Xoops to download

This is my first time to download every so witch is the one i should download?? I got and genral Ideal of hwo this works casue I was reading up on everythign this past 3 weeks..and It's andlittle like whjat I seen with my web hosted called ipower and they support this luagnage stuff so i know I can use it..I'm excited to get started!!!

JasonMR
Re: Wicth Xoops to download
  • 2005/2/8 1:19

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Reminds me of Robin Williams: "Why does a psychic need a telephone number?"

How about trying the latest release, assigned the version number 2.0.9.2.

I'm just a wanna-be scientist, but the words "Latest Version" seem pretty obvious. Guess the term 'patch' is a little ambiguous...

WISH YOU LUCK!...

psychicadvis

Ok do I upload after I download the lastest 2. somthing then do I download eh pathches or what eveer that is top??

codeghost
  • 2005/2/10 13:27

• codeghost

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/26

Mambo :-p

Xoops 2.0.9.3 is the latest creation and should be the one you download, this is the most secure of all XOOPS thanks to Ono and GiJoe =)

JasonMR
  • 2005/2/10 13:43

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

XOOPS patches are for updates only!

So, if there is a security issue, and the core team fixes the problem, the version number goes up.

If you look closely, you will notice
Quote:

XOOPS 2.0.9 to 2.0.9.2 patch
.zip | tarball
XOOPS 2.0.7.x to 2.0.9.2 patch
.zip | tarball
XOOPS 2.0.7 to 2.0.9.2 patch
.zip | tarball

... everything labelled as a patch, has two sets of numbers, ajoined by "to"...meaning, you go from one number to the next version, by patching the first version number, which leaves you with the last version number.

An example. Let's say, you had installed XOOPS a couple of months ago. Then you would have an 2.0.7 installation.
Now you want the latest version, so you would need the "XOOPS 2.0.7 to 2.0.9.2 patch"

Now let's say installed your XOOPS system mid december, and have 2.0.7.3 installed, then you would use the "XOOPS 2.0.7.x to 2.0.9.2 patch"

And if you installed in January your XOOPS system, most likely it would have been 2.0.9, which you would now have to patch with "XOOPS 2.0.9 to 2.0.9.2 patch"

Hope this clarifies

psychicadvis

ok that makes since ,now whats he differance between tar and zip??

m0nty
  • 2005/2/11 11:15

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

zips are mainly just compressed archives for windows systems.. you download and unzip it to your pc then upload the uncompressed files..

tar archives are also compressed but are mainly for linux/unix users who can upload the whole tar package to the server and run a shell command on it which will automatically uncompress the archive to a folder of their choice..

of course there are windows programs that can extract tar archives on windows (WinRAR) being 1 of them, but you're best of using the zip method if your using windows..

JasonMR
What is the difference between zip, tar, tar.gz?
  • 2005/2/11 20:14

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

As m0nty explained, zip and tar are compression methods.

I just wanted to add, that you will also see tar.gz, or tar.bz2
-> same thing: compression methods, mainly employed with *nix systems (Unix, Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, etc...)

What's the difference?
Efficiency!

So which is best?
This depends on the type of data, as well as the data itself you are compressing, and is best tested in each individual case (if necessary to know exactly). Though there is a general rule of thumb:
.tar is the most unefficient of the four, with tar.gz being the most efficient, with zip in the top middle field.

Having said that the t-compression methods are meant for *nix systems, they can be also utilized on win boxes. Herefore you will need a nother piece of GNU-GPL software called 7-Zip.

Hope this also helps...

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits