Jason0071
XOOPS Themes
  • 2005/2/9 19:40

• Jason0071

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/19

OK, well I been developing for a while in PHP, HTML, XML, C, C++ and a multitude of other langs.

Anyway, I am looking to use an opensource CMS like XOOPS. I have been looking at some of the themes that can be downloaded on an internal site to my network. Some of them look pretty good!! However, like anyone else minor and sometimes major mods need to take place.

Interesting enough (I can now say I know nothing about XOOPS) I have tried to change some themes, with very minor changes. You know like changing a <a href> tag in theme.html and nothing happens, no change at all. So, I thought well maybe the system defaults to the theme.html.bak file...ha ha ha...yeah, but no. So, then I thought why don't I just delete the theme.html file and the theme.html.bak from the root directory of the theme all together, clear my cache, oh, I don't restart my PC, restart the web server, verify on the server that the files don't exist, change file permissions, you know basically completely (I supposed) screw up the theme so it does not function. Boy talk about stability, the darn theme still works no change, nothing. I'm laughing myself into a delerious state of painfully ignorant bliss...WTF!!

So my question is:

How do you modify a theme?

Jason

talunceford
Re: XOOPS Themes

Under the general settings, change "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?
" to yes. I think by default its set to no. This will allow you to view your changes.

Jason0071
  • 2005/2/9 19:49

• Jason0071

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/19

Well, that works. Suppose I should mess around with the admin menu before changing code.

Thanks,

Jason

talunceford

Not a prob.

Mithrandir

Hyperpod wrote in the double-post, I just deleted:
Quote:

Hi Jason,

Welcome to xoops.

It is a advanced system and does cache the html templates into the database.

You can set in the preference to always update the theme from files, while you are making theme chages. This will get you where you want to go.

I wresteld with the same issue when I first started xoops, and almost went crazy before I figured it out. So you are not alone.

Here is a SUPER LITE doc I wrote for doing this:
It is not a full XOOPS theme tutorial yet and BY no means is for beginners. It is meant for web design veterans just getting into xoops. I still need to add more to it.

http://www.hyperpod.net/modules/articles/article.php?id=4

It has about 2-5 XOOPS theme design tricks that are essential to creating or modyfying a theme, and are not apparant without major research.

I hope you can find it useful.

Cheers,

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits