animas
Theme with Drop Down menus
  • 2005/2/5 8:51

• animas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/30

I need a theme that not showing user menu/ main menu in left/right block. Rather I will keep links in header. Options inside links will be shown as dropdown. Say when user puts mouse over News it will show SUbmit News and Archive.

Is it possible to use javascript style drop down menus?
Is there any theme? How to do it?

Gambero[removed]
Re: Theme with Drop Down menus

I think there is no such theme now ... but it is a good idea! Maybe someone will use it ...

You can insert a javascript menus in you theme if you want to. How can you do it, read here!

carnuke
  • 2005/2/5 12:27

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I have seen several themes that use use dhtml /javascript menus like this, but not generally available.

Check out Varlinux.org to see a good example of this. Perhaps Npetrely will tell you how to do this?

[edit] here is the link to the menu on varlinus site from Dynamic Drives website

WarDick
  • 2005/2/5 13:28

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Check out the drop down menus at the frxoops.org they work better in XOOPS than any I have seen.

m0nty
  • 2005/2/5 13:46

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i had some good drop down menu's before i redesigned the theme on my old site.. i think the scripts are still on the server, if i can gain access to them.. but i don't work for that site anymore as i quit last year so i might not be able to.. it would just be a matter of editing the links then.. (altho these were horizontal drop downs using either click to drop down or onmouseover events)..

the problem with having too many is that your pages can become overwhelmed with javascript which will make page loading time suffer, which was 1 reason i took them off and went for simple point and click buttons instead..

if you're going down the route of drop downs then i'd recommend being a bit conservative as to how many you actually use (just an opinion)

WarDick
  • 2005/2/5 13:49

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Yes that is good advice. If drop downs are your passion there are css solutions around.

DonXoop

Google will bring up tons of solutions. Another reason to be careful with jscript menus is that they can be browser specific or not render at all if the user has jscript turned off or using a text only browser. You need to have a noscript alternative if the links are important.

CSS is another method and again google to the rescue.

I haven't used any of these but am thinking of solutions to overcrowded menus.

Montisarts
  • 2005/2/5 14:29

• Montisarts

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/26

There is a way to edit your mainmenu template, but the only problem I am having is that your submenu links are loaded when you enter a module and not by default.

Is there a way to load the submenu links by default (before you click the module link so that they are in the main menu for every module)

Now you have to click Downloads in order to load the submenu links.

If the links COULD be loaded from the start there would be a css way for the dropdown menu in combination with a little javascript.

Any ideas on making the submenu show up for every module in the mainmenu when loading your page?

JMorris
  • 2005/2/5 17:14

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

You may want to look at MultiMenu 1.6. The templates can be customized much more easily than previous versions and you have the option of specifying permanent sub links. You might have to do a fair bit of hacking at the templates to get the drop down effect you are looking for, but I believe it would be do-able.

Montisarts
  • 2005/2/5 17:20

• Montisarts

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/26

I created a custom block at xoops.montisarts.com, which seems to do the trick. It's hardcoded though. But you don't see that

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits