jeffgr
New Shorturls hack?
  • 2005/1/25 19:33

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Hey everybody,

(i think my original post dissapeard when I submitted it, so I am posting this again)

I think I figured out a way to make a simple shorturls hack...

-create a frameset, with only one frame window. The one frame window will fill up the entire screen. Make sure you set the frame and frameset to "noscroll" and "noresize". Then have index.php load into this main frame. The site should appear as normal, except that is is loading into this giant invisible frame...and the frameset hides the long urls...so all that you end up seeing is www.domain.com.

seems to work for me so far...can anyone think of any cons to this idea that I may not have thought of?

this is the code of the index.htm frameset file...

<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<frameset rows="100%,0%" cols="*" frameborder="no">
<frame src="index.php" name="mainFrame" frameborder="no" scrolling="no">
<frame src="bottom.htm" frameborder="no" scrolling="no">
</frameset>
<noframes><body>

</body></noframes>
</html>

(ok, actually there are two frames in the frameset, but the one that has a dimension of 0% is called bottom.htm)

Jeff

edit: ahhh,ok, i am having some problems scrolling around on certain pages...so this means that I have to change the scroll options to yes, and may have to fiddle around with either the theme or certain module templates so that the page does not end up with a side scroll bar.

m0nty
Re: New Shorturls hack?
  • 2005/1/25 19:58

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

the con is in using frames :s it's not an ideal way for a lot of users..

and some browsers don't support frames (well old browsers anyway)

+ i'm not sure on spiders and web crawlers indexing right.. some people need the links in the urls to be there aswell, just not as long as they originally are..

ie i want to post a link to a post on the forum of the article i'm posting..

so to take this forum >https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30594&forum=20

i would post the link above whats in the address bar..

i can't do that with ur way.. i think your way is more appropriate for masking the url but not for functional dynamic sites.. just my opinion tho, nothing really against your methods (other than i think frames are more hassle than they're worth)

jeffgr
  • 2005/1/25 20:06

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

thanks for your thoughts...

yes, I thought of that also...because the url is masked, most people wouldn't be able to figure out what the exact url of the article is..unless they hit the "send-to-a-friend option", and got the url from there etc...but yeah, thats beyond most users

I was more thinking that this is a good way to disguise the url for people who ar using XOOPS as a back-end cms, for small, brochure style web sites (so sites where there is no lot of updating going on, up the user still has the ability to update the content if they wish)

as far as search engines go, I find that if you put you page links in the "noframes" tag, googlebot will index your pages. Of course, if you have a lot of pages, this would be a pain...

I am fooling around with this idea on my own site at the moment, located at www.web-start.biz ....I'm just putting everything back together now, and may turn the site on and off as i do so, but you can see what I mean if you check out the site in a few days...

Jeff

jeffgr
  • 2005/1/27 18:34

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

ok, I have my site athttp://www.web-start.biz all set up now...now you can see how I am using this way of hiding the url...

Jeff

Login

Who's Online

111 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 111

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits