coulix
Need advice on the feasability of the thing
  • 2005/1/18 5:12

• coulix

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/18

hi, i am new to xoop but not to web design/programming

the web site need a mailing list where members will all receive emails divided by categories, kind of mass mailing with the possibility to unsubscribe ect..

is there a module for such a thing in xoops?
if not what is the more realistic method ?
thank you

brash
Re: Need advice on the feasability of the thing
  • 2005/1/18 5:19

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Nothing bullet proof yet, but there needs to be (I think anyway). How many users are you thinking?

rowdie
  • 2005/1/18 7:06

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

There is the Evennews module , which is a basic newsletter module. It might be a place to start.

coulix
  • 2005/1/18 11:52

• coulix

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/18

i give you the line and tell me what you think is the more adapted.

We would also like to have a mass email program located on the website to allows us to
- Mass email our members about our events
-We prefer mailing list servers as opposed to group mail because groups tends to be abused by students
-Store sent email automatically on the website database
-connect the db to the email address lists, so that it allows us to use tags in our emails to be able to personalise emails using the personal details (e,e Dear <>)
-Be able to create lists for different events and mass mail audiences
- Allow members to sybscribe and unsubscribe to the various mailing lists via the website
-Email should have spell check function (<-haha of course not)

the guy who wrote this do not really know about the way a website is working as you can see.. anyway a mailing list by area and not by events is good enought.

brash
  • 2005/1/18 23:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi coulix,

Sounds like your needs have a great deal of cross over with the needs of a site I run with a mate (http://www.iis-resources.com). We did have EvenNews installed but with nearly 5000 subscribers we found it simply was not capable of handling jobs of that size. We hade issues with mail been sent in triplicate to some users, huge CPU loads while the job was running, and the queue would bomb out after sendind around 1000 e-mails with no way of knowing what subscriber it was upto, or anyway of resuming the job. I think EvenNews 2.x is a token newsletter module at best, and should not be used if you intend to send to more than 100 users.

We are currently using a listserver, but we are wanting to get back to using a module to handle sending the newsletter and subscriptions. We have a few ideas in the pipeline and every point you mentioned above have been covered in what we are planning. Please PM me if you want to know more.

Login

Who's Online

427 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 427

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits