gravies
Hints to avoid slashdotting?
  • 2005/1/11 23:55

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

My XOOPS site seems to struggle under heavy load. It is running on a 1Ghz PIV with 128Mb RAM with Debian Testing. When I get 10 or more users on the front page it seems to grind to a halt. I have tried using openload to test the system and everything is ok when I get a static page (eg. xoops.css) but when the MySQL and PHP get involved it struggles. I get loads of apache processes and a load average of 50 or more!

I have tried setting the XOOPS cache for each of the modules I use to 5 minutes. I have tried testing on a simple page (eg. modules/contact) but it still stalls after about 10 connections. My hdparm gives a respectible 25Mb/sec. My PHP is version 4.3.10-2 with Zend 1.3.0. It is run as an apache module.

My apache config is default for debian with:

MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 100

Apart from getting more memory does anyone have any suggestions to aid with slashdotting?

Thanks
Graham

m0nty
Re: Hints to avoid slashdotting?
  • 2005/1/12 0:56

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

can't help too much, but as u say u definitely need more memory thats for sure.. and 1ghz cpu isn't exactly a powerful cpu to use for a server..

1 thing i could suggest tho, is to upgrade zend to the latest 2.5.7, that may help a little..

gravies
  • 2005/1/12 17:01

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

I can't easily upgrade Zend as I am using Debian's libapache-mod-php4.

I did switch off MySQL query logging and that helped a lot.

I tested the same system on another machine with more memory and it was fine with high load so I think there is no alternative but to upgrade the machine.

Graham

LazyBadger

Quote:

I tested the same system on another machine with more memory and it was fine with high load so I think there is no alternative but to upgrade the machine.

I can say only one - on my previous config (Celeron-450, 128M RAM) I never got described you effects even under bigger load
From other side - I never used, use, will use Debian

Login

Who's Online

270 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 270

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits