needHelp
Xoops News On Start Page?
  • 2005/1/10 6:48

• needHelp

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 1

Greetings all,

Let's say I have a domain http://www.MyDomain.com and I would like my news/ announcement to appear when visitors point to http://www.MyDomain.com instead of redirection to ../module/news.

Please tell me how do I get it done. I am using the latest version of XOOPS (2.0.9.2).

m0nty
Re: Xoops News On Start Page?
  • 2005/1/10 6:51

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

goto admin, system > preferences > general > set start module to news in selection box..

wtravel

You can add a rewrite rule to your .htaccess file in your main XOOPS folder.

http://www.domain.com = http://www.domain.com/modules/news/
(edited: this is not how to write the rule BTW, just what the rule should do)

However, links in your news module will keep pointed at the modules/news/ folder, unless you add another rewrite rule to a .htacces file in the /modules/news/ folder.

What about stating a few blocks on the top page instead?

Regards,

Martijn

needHelp
  • 2005/1/10 7:21

• needHelp

• Just popping in

Thanks for the replies. Monty, I stated that I did not want to do a redirection.

Other than editing the .htaccess, how do I edit the start page of Xoops? What script do I need to look at?

Thanks in advance.

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/10 7:36

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

you can use spotlight module. really flexible and fantastic.
you can do almost everything you want.
i personally dont use super spotlight module that released in current days but it seems it has many amazing extra features

wtravel

Hi,

Other than using any kind of rewrite tool (like .htaccess), I would suggest to make a start page like xoops, where you can find the latest news block, a welcome block and you can always create your own custom announcement block and show it on the top page.

Instead of changing the start page in the general settings to the news module, you use the default start page (top page).

If you are interested in that solution, are you familiar with how to create and show custom blocks, and grant access rights to the blocks to different user groups?

Regards,

Martijn

needHelp
  • 2005/1/10 7:46

• needHelp

• Just popping in

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Wtravel,

Quote:

I would suggest to make a start page like xoops, where you can find the latest news block, a welcome block and you can always create your own custom announcement block and show it on the top page.

Instead of changing the start page in the general settings to the news module, you use the default start page (top page).

Yay, that's precisely what I want to do but have no idea what file to edit. How do I create a welcome/ announcement block and latest news block using the default start(top) page?

Quote:

If you are interested in that solution, are you familiar with how to create and show custom blocks, and grant access rights to the blocks to different user groups?

Yep, I know how to set access rights to different user groups.

Thanks for your patient, it is appreciated very much!

wtravel

When you go to your admin menu, navigate to blocks. On the bottom of that page you will see a form with which you can create a new block.

Choose in which area of your layout you want to show this block, most common is in one of the center blocks (just play with it).
Leave the "Visible in" field as it is (Top page).
For an announcement block for example give a title "Announcement" and add your announcemement in the content field.

By default the new block will only be visible to registered users and the webmaster, so when you are done, go to groups admin and edit the group "anonymous" so that they have access to the newly created block.

Basically that is it!

needHelp
  • 2005/1/10 8:34

• needHelp

• Just popping in

Oops, I found out how to do it, thanks for the great helps.

Login

Who's Online

283 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 283

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits