hervet
Re: Better Module Documentation
  • 2005/1/6 8:19

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Carnuke,

I have contacted jenclas yesterday, he will help me to create the documentation for the news module. And I agree with what I read in this thread, a help from someone else can be the difference between a doc and no doc.

Bye,
Hervé

Herko
  • 2005/1/6 9:08

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

he? I could have sworn Jen is a she...

Herko

hervet
  • 2005/1/6 9:18

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

So Jenclas, excue me humbly, my knowledge in terms of first name is limited to the french

rowdie
  • 2005/1/6 9:29

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Quote:

carnuke wrote:

Rowd,
I tend to agree with Mithrandir that public collaboration through a wiki leaves much to be desired in terms of style, subject organisation and consistancy of content detail. It's great for collecting ideas, but it becomes over fragmented. Maybe the wiki idea is a good information gathering tool, In that regard, I would endorse your idea strongly, but then it should be followed by editorial refinement and formatting before a publication stage.

I never intended the wiki to hold the final document, just as a means of getting to that stage. My original post outlined that. All documentation would start from a template designed by the documentation team to show their standards and what they expect to see in module documentation... that is how I envisioned it. Not as a blank page.

Sure, the ideal situation is to have the developer write their own documents, but ideals won't get documents written, though help from others might.

carnuke
  • 2005/1/6 10:03

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Rowd, I take your point and I must be careful not to let the 'ideal become the enemy of the real' I will look at this again. Good, available documentation is better than excellent possible docs.

The SmartFAQ doc did take a long time, maybe unrealistic as a general standard?

So, we should look at the level of details again and come to a reachable solution.

A while ago, I also made a suggestion to use a docmentation primer, like a basic input form that a developer could submit to the documentation team.see here. (ignore the theme, this was just a sandbox idea)

It attempts to capture as many details as possible that can be interpreted into a simple, formal document. We cannot possibly document all existing modules to a high standard, but producing a form like this, with an invitation to developers of existing modules to 'upgrade' their documentation though it.

It's a half-way house between nothing at all and something useful.

Thanks for your comment.

Login

Who's Online

493 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 493

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits