kiwiguy
Just out of curiousity!
  • 2005/1/3 5:01

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

I have newbb 2.0 Final was wondering if it was possible to go back to the original newbb 1.0 forum at all or once its been upgraded thats it there is no going back unless i want to lose all my posts??

kiwiguy

kiwiguy
Re: Just out of curiousity!
  • 2005/1/4 2:18

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

^bump^

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/4 3:08

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

As far as I know, there's no "downgrade" script for that.

If you don't care about posts made since you upgraded to NewBB 2, you could restore a backup, if you have one.

Otherwise, what I would do is compare the database schemas (modules/newbb/sql/mysql.sql) for the two versions to see how they differ, and make the necessary changes (after doing a backup). It might not be easy.

But why do you want to do this?

limecity
  • 2005/1/4 3:22

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

I was thinking of downgrading also. it somehow crashes in my site. Not sure whats wrong but I am sure its not newbb's fault since its runs smooth in xoops.org
Could be some module conflicts. or theme problem.

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/4 11:46

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
Dave_l wrote...But why do you want to do this?

I want to do this as the load time is killing me 300 items to be downloaded compared to about 120 with the old forum it takes up too much time and bandwidth also.

I have also asked how this could be fixed and just got really nowhere ppl asking me what the 300 items were being downloaded now I dunno mostly images and stuff but I am not about to sit down and write down a detailed thesis on wht the 300 items being downloaded.

Do not get me wrong I am not trying to be rude but I just needed to know why it takes so long to load it seems to load half of the forum and then hangs for about 5 seconds then loads the other half and a lot of members are complaining as there on dial up and takes near a 1 minute for it to load up for them.

All I asked in the other post was has there been any fixes for this thats all and yet to find out I have searched the whole forum and not yet found anything that even comes close.

Sorry if this sounds rude its not meant too but I am slowly getting frustrated as I like the module its great just wish it was faster in loading.

kiwiguy

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/4 12:13

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Do you think replacing the icons with text labels would help? Style attributes could probably be used to make the labels look like buttons. If that's a solution, then maybe an alternate set of templates or an alternate theme would be a feasible approach.

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/4 12:22

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks dave I changes one thing and it loads 3/4 faster so far so thanks mate so far so good.

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/4 12:46

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

What did you change?

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/4 23:38

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

Oooops sorry Dave was all excited but yeah I went to Adminustration>Forum>Preferences and change the option on this

Quote:
Image Type

Select the image type of buttons in the forum.
- png: for high speed server;
- gif: for normal speed;
- auto: gif for IE and png for other browsers

Changed it from "PNG" to "AUTO"

Seems to load 3/4 faster than what it did before maybe its just me

kiwi

brash
  • 2005/1/4 23:47

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Ah, the old IE not being able to do squat with transparent PNG images trick . It got me too. I've just set it to use GIF, and haven't had much of a problem sense, but NewBB 1 is still a leaner module, although the features of NewBB 2 make it well and trully worth while in my opinion. Dave_L's suggestion of replacing images with text, and using CSS to style the text so it looks like a button is a brilliant idea in my opionion. This would go a LONG way to reducing load times as each image produces a http request, and for analog modem users each http request can take upto half a second to just get a response from the server. Get a couple of dozen http requests and it is easy to see how load times can increase.

Login

Who's Online

434 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 434

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits