Herko
Re: Xoops On Crack?
  • 2005/1/4 7:58

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I seriously don't know how and when the XOOPS Core Team or the core developers would have rejected any security patches by anyone without motivation and discussion. If we have, we have done so unknowingly and unwittingly. Publishing the fixes on a site (in whatever language) without notifying the core team or core developers through the channels that are open for that (like sf.net's trackers), is not contributing to the development project, IMHO. Failing to pick those changes up isn't rejecting them nor ignoring them either.

We have to remember that XOOPS is a community effort, we all have to work on the same thing. This requires some agreement (and therefore discussion) on the method and timing of implementation of changes. So this requires communication between those involved.

I agree with Herve, I would like to know from GIJOE if he is willing to take up the challenge or not.

Herko

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/4 8:09

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

sorry maybe my post take this discussion to side-way and cause this off-topic posts.
for clarify my point:
GIJOE said 'protector' module is a MUST module and everyone must use it and i ask him when the community dont know about it ( no news in xoops.org ??? ) how regular users can use it and when there is no detailes documentation to explain how it works why he want developers to recomended it.
i just said this no more.
and you see in current days many people ask about "protector" module and carnuke add a document about it in faq.
personally, im also waiting for GIJOE response to request for his acceptance to be the security leader in QA team.

giba
  • 2005/1/4 9:58

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Hi,

Security and priority max, my vote in Gjoe

If to need to follow the work of it in nippon I will go to make great esforco, will be here tambem I go to make great esforco. The language is English or Japanese it and a barrier for me.

Observacoes in Portuguese

XOOPS Brasil question

XoopsBr conclusions

Mr. Herko and Mith, attention for outher communities ok ?

Look

Problem in activations

Look file Arquivo ATIVACAO.PHP. Developer by Topet05
Its is example for consideration for xoops.org

Thanks

giba
  • 2005/1/4 10:05

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Topic for analysin team security Ativacao.php

Thanks

Herko
  • 2005/1/4 10:10

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

I think we're addressing another, fundamental issue here, one that is not directly caused by the security issues but is in the heart of the way XOOPS works.

XOOPS has local support and development communities, where great things are happening. The issue here is how can we bring what happens there and what happens here at xoops.org together? If English is a barrier for these local communities, so is Japanese, Portugese, Spanish etc. for those that speak mainly English. So Giba's comment on 'watch what goes on here as language is a barrier for us' goes in two directions. And frankly, the Google/Babelfish translations suck most of the time (Giba's post being a good example of that, it still has essential portugese words mixed in).

Ok, what I'm trying to say here people, is that we share the problem. English still is the main langaueg of the XOOPS.org project, but if possible, I would like to address these issues in a practical manner. How can we communicate changes, additions, policy and so on when language is a barrier?

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

Herko

ladon
  • 2005/1/4 10:32

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Herko, after reading this entire thread and especially your last post concerning the language barrier I must say this is a rather substantial problem. I haven’t been around really for quit a few months, but tt seems some parts of the community are growing apart. To tackle this I’ve got only one idea: liaisons (if this is the correct word, English isn’t my main language either ). There are a number of local support sites around where a lot of exciting things/developments are happening. If every of those had one person who is responsible for relaying al development (and maybe even discussion) to the xoops.org website we could at least try to centralize everything a little bit.

What I suggest here only applies to the problems concerning the growing apart of the community (or the danger of that happening). Discussion about main development can really only be done in one language. Although I understand the problem for certain people, English seems the only logical choice.

Furthermore, I’m happy to see that there is interest in setting up a security team. I think it might put XOOPS way ahead once more!

JMorris
  • 2005/1/4 11:49

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I don't know how feasible this would be but...

A feature that I've seen on other International sits is the ability to select your language. Why not implement that here? I haven't seen a module that does this, but it certainly seems like something that would pull the community together. Heck, I think PHP-Nuke has something like this. I'm not a coder or I would have already submitted the module. Perhaps one of the great module coders in our community would like to come up with such a module?

Just a thought.

m0nty
  • 2005/1/4 11:54

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i would like to see a security team too :) after GIJOES demo (whilst i also think it was wrong to do, it proved a valid point, something i have done in the past on another site not XOOPS powered tho) i'm not a coder or a hacker or any security expert (well not computer security anyway, but i do have electronic security experience)

some1 mentioned the language barrier, and that translators are there, but 1 thing i haven't found on the internet at ALL, is an online translator that can translate japanese/chines/vietnamese or any arabic characters to english and vice versa) so the communities really do need to communicate more.. and as english is the main language, unfortunately i think the japanese team may have to do that little bit of work to translate 1st..

but if there are vulnerabilities, then they need addressing and to do that there has to be a proper team in place and that team needs to liase with all the other support sites respectively.. either way tho, some of that team are going to need to translate to other languages, which is why i think a member or even a few members from each support site should be members of the security team.

Herko
  • 2005/1/4 12:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

@ladon: yes, I have a mail ready to go out to all support sites out there to create a network of 'ambassadors' (which reflects the sovereignty of every community and the collaborative relationship between us) with them all. This has been on the to-do list for a while now, but apparently I've let is slip away for too long. Anyways, it's back on the to-do list now! It's a first step of course,

@JMorris: if you mean to make this site a multilanguage site, then I don't think that will be a good idea. Just look at the huge amount of content that needs to be translated, and the traffic it would generate on the server. PHPNuke (and some other systems as well) have a language switch option, but that's for the interface language only. Not for the content. And I don't think the support sites themselves would want to be reduced to translating posts and content...
We can make the local support sites more prominent on this website and in the community, and we're going to work on that from now on. But that should also come from both ways.

Herko

ladon
  • 2005/1/4 13:30

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Quote:

We can make the local support sites more prominent on this website and in the community, and we're going to work on that from now on. But that should also come from both ways.

A little, maybe useless suggestion: How about a forum in the general catagory with subforums that redirect to the forums on the local support sites? Placing this forum above the other forums would make the local support more prominently displayed. A newbe about to make a first post for support would immidiatly notice the international catagory and would most likely click on it first.

Login

Who's Online

139 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 139

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits