intel352
Re: Individual blocks for each category, Possible?
  • 2004/12/21 14:42

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

okay, so then, what you're needing is essentially what i've created with the multisites mod & the wfdownloads mod (where i can assign categories/downloads to certain sites), but you want that functionality in a *single* website.

well, with my SID modifications, that could already be done, but in your case, instead of standing for 'Site ID', it'd be more like 'Section ID'. semantics..

in one variation of my site modifications, i have a 'site_register' table, which holds information regarding each site and it's details. well, we could do something similar, having a section registry, where global sections are defined, and then within each module (with modifications) you would be able to assign content either to a certain section, or globally.

i haven't messed with the ability to select "some but not all" sites/sections yet, to keep things simple for now.

i'll see if i can implement the site/section mod in a fresh install of xoops. i've got quite a few other projects going on, ehehe, but this has me intrigued, and i'm thinking this could benefit the multisites mod as well.

anyone have any module requests that i should mod as well? i won't do many, but i'll include the wfdownloads module, and i could maybe do AMS (depending on how complicated that would be). it was fairly simple with wf-downloads, since it used some XOOPS core functions for displaying categories, so i just needed to modify the core functions and implement a couple of small changes to the module.

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/21 16:19

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

If a site were to have regional sections, then maybe a calendar and classified ads module would be helpful. (Local events and local ads)

tzvook
  • 2004/12/21 20:07

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

bd_csmc

It sounds like this one should/will end up @ the core ...
sound fantastic, probably the most exciting things in the last year 4 XOOPS if you ask me ...

The most essential modules are (for me anyway):
- newbb (has support for categpry blocks)
- One of the galleries
- one of the callanders (pical seens the right one)
- AMS / news
- search separation for the sections

And by the way, it'll probably be best to call it channals or something similar ("subject is being used a lot ...) - of course just a thought

WallStArb
  • 2004/12/22 21:04

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

AMS seems really weak without any imporvocements over News 1.21

AMS doesnt allow brief snippets of the article and honestly seems liek the weakest news system out there... For quickie news I like News 1.21

synikal
  • 2004/12/23 4:59

• synikal

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/11

Is it possible you could use parameters in the query string ($_GET) to represent different categories of your site?

For example. I was thinking about a site which is a little different for each location. So, for example, for each city there would be different functions:

New York
-------
Local Bulletin Board
Local News
etc.

L.A.
-----
Local Bulletin Board
Local News
etc.

Say it was set to city=NY when you click on NY. Every block/page would then check $_GET, and set its content based on that.

The only problem I could see with doing this is that the query string representing the category would have to be copied from one URL to the next, so that you would remain in the same category when you click on a link.

What if XOOPS had some kind of persistant query string object. The developer of the page/block would then have the responsibility to add this query string to the end of all URLs on the page (at least the ones that are not to transfer to a different section).

Look at www.citysearch.com for an example. Once you search for say, a restaurant in a city, all the other links (Hotels, Shopping) magically change so that they point to that city too.

Basically, XOOPS would have to keep track of the parameters that are persistant, then copy them from the current querystring to the persistant query string object...

Does that make sense? What do you think?

tzvook
  • 2004/12/23 9:50

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Synikal, it seems that bd_csmc is talking about a much basic and better solution with the same/better results which will work with the search adn with a lot of modules, and which will improove all the content flow in xoops.

To my opinion, if results will be good, it will make XOOPS a real powere CMS which as I said above, will deal with content in both aproaches, a thing that no cms is doing right now, anyway, not as it should deal, so it might give the dore devs an small push to go that direction.

synikal
  • 2004/12/24 1:25

• synikal

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/11

Quote:

tzvook wrote:
Synikal, it seems that bd_csmc is talking about a much basic and better solution with the same/better results which will work with the search adn with a lot of modules, and which will improove all the content flow in xoops.

Well... Whatever form it takes... I could really use it now. :) Hopefully the powers that be will decide to move in this direction ;)

-Page
  • 2005/1/11 4:40

• -Page

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

Man, I keep thinking of this thread!

This IS the whole battle with working with Xoops!

There isn't a CMS out their with more interactive functionality, possibilities or community support, it's hopelessly addicting! But trying to make sensible categories out of module functionality is always the BIG battle!

Albert Einstein used to pull out the contents of his pocket and let the cashiers take what he owed. lol (true!)

Sometimes, the deeper you think, the farther the surface becomes.

Just like once you play an instrument, you can rarely think of a song as a whole again. ;-/

This is a nice pull back to the surface, I'm glad to see it written out!

It would be nice if there was a structure mod that could produce and manage a visual folder tree and provide:
Category / Subject / Topic / Module functionality.

Quote:

bd_csmc
this thread is what I was talking about .... I just found it.
Herko, skalpa, Bunny and the rest saw the need @ 2002 and for some reason all was forgotten.
If you ask me it's one thing XOOPS can't live without beacuse in most cases you need your content to be folowed by categories and not by modules

And to be acurate:
today XOOPS sites looks like this

Homepage
module 1:
- category one
- category 2
- category 3

module 2:
- category one
- category 2
- category 3

module 3:
- category one
- category 2
- category 3

Now, it's good for a few sites, but not for most.
The natural content flow is :

Site category 1:
- module one category 1
- module 2 category 1
- module 2 category 1

Site category 2:
- module one category 2
- module 2 category 2
- module 3 category 2

Quote:
-- subjuct one
- articles
- news
- photos (gallery or so..)
- forum
- all others

-- subjuct two
- articles
- news
- photos (gallery or so..)
- forum
- all other.......[

This brought me to a situation that every time I want to use XOOPS for a project, I ends up giving it to a much worse cms, but with a better "content flow" and I feel very bad about it, XOOPS is the best in functionality and stability, but ..... in the end what counts is the content, the CMS is just serving the content.

tzvook
  • 2005/1/11 12:33

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Hello -Page
I saw @ the XOOPS roadmap that the new 2.1 is planned with global category support ... and that is answering (probably) all dificulties

Quote:
There isn't a CMS out their with more interactive functionality, possibilities or community support, it's hopelessly addicting!

... yep .... "there's something about Xoops" ... highly addictive .... makes you want it better, not going to look for solutions elsewhere ....

-Page
  • 2005/1/11 16:13

• -Page

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

Quote:
"I saw @ the XOOPS roadmap that the new 2.1 is planned with global category support...
and that is answering (probably) all dificulties"

WOW! - This will completly change the way that all of us plan, structure and THINK about websites.

All of our websites will be brought closer to surface.

It should almost FORCE you to think about your structure, purpose and audiance the way that you should be thinking about it!

The impact on the results will be positivly dramatic, EVERY TIME!

It's like adding FLOW to endless FUNTUALITY!

We'll never think about things the same.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits