carnuke
XOOPS FAQ does it work for you?
  • 2004/12/13 12:36

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Xoops FAQ has received thousands of hits since it's been open. However, each day we are seeing posts that could have been answered by reading the XOOPS FAQ. In fact there are often forum replies with links to a particular FAQ. Is XOOPS FAQ giving you information you need? Do you know it's there to give you helpful answers immeadiately without waiting for the forum? Do you know that if an FAQ is badly answered or inadequate, YOU can submit an improved version of the answer?

Maybe we just can't get used to a new resource and old habits die hard..

What do you think? are we managing the XOOPS FAQ in the best way to serve the community?

We are listening to you, this is your resource, so say what you think.

BTW There is a poll about the XOOPS FAQ on the documentation site, please add your vote!

Thanks,
Richard

JMorris
Re: XOOPS FAQ does it work for you?
  • 2004/12/13 12:49

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Personally, I've read and bookmarked several FAQ articles already that answer many longstanding question. I think it's a great resource for the community. I just hope I'll eventually be able to contribute to it.

RE: Old habits...

*cough*laziness*cough*

rowdie
  • 2004/12/13 13:01

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I think it's a great resource for the XOOPS community. My only small gripe, which I normally wouldn't even bother mentioning but since you asked... , is with the layout of the answers. I just find it pretty distracting having the category in a large font appear after the question. Also, having the question appear as a heading twice... I just find it tiring to read. Yep, call me lazy, whatever but that is the reason why I don't spend as much time reading the FAQ's as I otherwise would have.

So my suggestion is to maybe have the category at the top, followed by the title/question and requested by/answered by. The answer doesn't need to repeat the title/question, does it?

Anyway, there's my thoughts on the subject... I definitely respect all the time and effort put into the FAQ resource by volunteers, which is why I hesitate to even make this post... but you did ask for my thoughts

Rowd

Herko
  • 2004/12/13 13:35

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

There are a few blocks that will help people find the FAQ answers before they access the forums. But the problem is that there will be too many blocks on a page if we put up 2 faq blocks as well. But we're looking into this possibility.

Herko

marcan
  • 2004/12/13 14:17

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

We are, of course, always pleased to receive improvent suggestions If there is some 'layout' or 'template' issues you would like to get improved, drop us a feature request at the dev forge.

Never forget that XOOPS is a community effort ! If you have suggestion to improve something, please, say it loud

Cheers

carnuke
  • 2004/12/13 17:50

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Thanks Marcan for picking that comment up.

Marcan has actually made several modifications to this module already and is very responsive to listening to improvements. The version we use on Xoops.org has many useful changes that will eventually come into production soon.

Re content of XOOPS faq: Each day I'm combing the forums for useful content and adding material. This is fine, but it's my name on the FAQ and I really think it would be nice to see the original author credited! Why not take the Kudos to yourself.?

When you make a post, just consider making it an FAQ as well.

Thanks for your positive and creative comments, keep them coming.

Thanks, Richard

Login

Who's Online

505 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 505

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits