gtop00
Additional data for registered members / users
  • 2004/12/10 19:17

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Dear All,

I strongly believe that XOOPS is THE ideal portal for any kind of open or closed communities, clubs, organizations etc. It is almost a Turn-Key solution for such applications.
What it is really missing, is the ability to store more data for the (registered) members e.g. personal(*) and business data like name and family name (separated), address, telephone, profession, education data and more…
These additional data should be configurable by the admin (per group) and directly related to each registered member profile. IT IS NOT necessary to be included in the XOOPS core; it is well if it is a module.
Also, it would be necessary to handle the membership dues (if there are) in order to keep a legal track of the membership validation.
A basic statistical and reporting tool should be incorporated too. It is very useful to be able to get some reports like “how many members are working is THAT field” or “how many members have THIS diploma degree” and so on.

(*) Important: Please note that public access on some of these data is protected by law, so they must be only viewed and edited by the member itself and/or the portal administrator.

Thank you all in advance.

gtop00
Re: Additional data for registered members / users
  • 2004/12/10 19:19

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

In another forums (module requests/, hacks…) I have seen that there are a lot of discussions for the same subject without been clear if there is a module OR if this request will be integrated into XOOPS core. Lately I got a reply from jegelstaff (with you permission Julian?):

<<<jegelstaff wrote:
Quote:

gtop00 wrote:
What it is really missing, is the ability to store more data for the (registered) members e.g. personal(*) and business data like name and family name (separated), address, telephone, profession, education data and more...

Formulize, our ad hoc form creation and reporting module, does that, sort of.

We currently have created registration forms that are separate from the account profile forms. The account profile forms are integrated with the XOOPS core, so they are hard to modify. Instead, we have opted for a "two-step" registration process. First people create their accounts as usual. Second, they need to fill in the separate Registration form we have created to provide all the other data that needs to get tracked which isn't in the account profile.

Most users do not like this though, and to some it is extremely confusing to have this two stage process. Reply: f it is a module, it can be used or not, according to the admin/site purpose.

What we are planning on doing is creating a flexible account profile system so that you can define what fields you want in the profile, what fields show up as part of the account creation process, and also what fields are unique to which groups. We feel it is important to be able to have different account profile fields for a Researchers group as opposed to a Volunteers group.

Integrating all that with the existing account profile and registration system is not trivial. But it is something we are working on, and we will be releasing a specification for how we see such a thing working in the near future, though not sure when. I would like to see such work integrated with XOOPS 2.2.
Reply: It is exactly what I need!

Quote:

A basic statistical and reporting tool should be incorporated too. It is very useful to be able to get some reports like “how many members are working is THAT field” or “how many members have THIS diploma degree” and so on.

Formulize does this.

Quote:

(*) Important: Please note that public access on some of these data is protected by law, so they must be only viewed and edited by the member itself and/or the portal administrator.

[/quote]

The intended use of Formulize is only by registered users, but if you want to setup a XOOPS site so that anonymous users have access to forms, that works too.

Partial demo at:

http://demo.freeformsolutions.ca

It's all the stuff under Form Menu.

--Julian>>>

gtop00
  • 2004/12/10 19:37

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Dear Jullian,

I had a look at Formulize and it seems that it works as I expected.
My inquiry though is exactly that you wrote before!

jegelstaff
  • 2004/12/13 15:26

• jegelstaff

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

Quote:

gtop00 wrote:
Quote:

Most users do not like this though, and to some it is extremely confusing to have this two stage process.

Reply: if it is a module, it can be used or not, according to the admin/site purpose.

What I'm saying is that if you do a two stage process like what I described, then your end users will complain. It's not a matter of how flexible or not the approach is for the admins, it is simply a fact that when users register, they want to submit all their "profile" style information and be done with it. They get very confused when you have to create an account and then fill in another profile form after logging in, especially when the system does not force them to fill in the form (it does not pop up on the screen and refuse to go away until they've filled it in, for instance). The combination of a confusing process, plus no technical enforcement systems, leads to the need to bug users repeatedly to complete the second form inside the system.

Hence our interest in expanding the account creation process.

The biggest stumbling block in my head right now is trying to figure out exactly how to do report generation on the data in the profile. We like having the second registration form provided through Formulize, because we can then generate reports and stats on the info. It's very hard (impossible?) to think of good ways to build an extension to the core that can also be read by the report system in Formulize; the format of data in Formulize is completely different from the format of data in the current user profile system. This might mean that the approach we settle on is ultimately a big hack, rather than true integration to the core.

We have a very long to do list right now, and the changes to the account creation process are not at the top of the list unfortunately. However if there is any chance of integrating them with 2.2, we will need to at least put together a spec sometime soon. So I hope to put out a spec by the end of the month perhaps, but honestly, it's really hard to know when it will happen, and depending on the schedule for 2.2, this might be an improvement that goes into the first release after 2.2, not sure.

And just to be clear, we're not part of the core dev team, we just submit suggestions and patches and such like anyone else.

--Julian

phpsharma
  • 2004/12/15 21:19

• phpsharma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/23

Hi All,

I almost tweaked to my requiremnts by following this tutorial or guide....

http://claude.felix.chez.tiscali.fr/tuto/hack_form_inscr_bil.htm

But still Non programmers needs to modify the form

sharma

asinglenet
  • 2005/1/6 22:23

• asinglenet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/24

I would be willing to contribute some money toward getting this capability as a module.

I have been hacking user fields, but we need a more organized approach.

Contact me at supply@assembla.com if you are working on this.

catalin12345

http://mods.postnuke.com/Article2511.html
i found something interesting check this link...
needed to get back into the swing of things and learn pnRender, so I wrote the MyInfo module. It allows users to enter whatever information they like and supports categories. The concept is fairly simple, but since the item body supports html, it can be quite powerful.

More information in the full text.

Features include:
Add, Edit and Delete Items
Add categories on the fly (while creating Items)
Edit and delete categories
View other users' items
Item body accepts html

Please visit www.chucksteel.com/postnuke for the download. To view full functionality, you will need to create an account, otherwise, you will just be able to view other user's info (click the My Info - Anonymous User View link in the menu).
-----------------------------------------------------------this is the module used here::
http://www.clubxtrem.net/modules/PN_Profil_List/ ?
if this is the module someone can port it to be used in xoops?!
also in clubxtrem after you login you have in the menu de user this features that are not in xoops:
http://www.clubxtrem.net/anniversaire.php
and:
http://www.clubxtrem.net/editprofil.php
those two if someone can integer will be very useful too xoops..
so if you make an user in club xtrem when you :
http://www.clubxtrem.net/userinfo.php?uid=25510
you have there more :anniversare and carte d`identite
how he do that?can anyone tell him to realease the hacks?!

gtop00
  • 2005/2/18 18:46

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Catalin:

It seems that is almost what I need.

I hope that somebody from the XOOPS community can make something like this!

asinglenet: I am with you. Meanwhile, have a look at:http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/

Unfortunatelly, I cannot use it since it does not support foreign languages.

George

catalin12345

maybe in the XOOPS 2.1 we will have integrated in the user menu the anniversaire module that exist
and also have an carte d`identi like in clubxtrem that can be customizable is not neccesary to have all those fields in the registration but an carde d`identity and an module like pn_profils form www.clubxtrem.net
will be more then great and the user can put all the details that the webmaster of the site need in his carte d`identity this carte d`identity can be named normaly or it would be better if any can name his carte d`identity maybe someones whats the name :carte d`identity others details others more info etc !

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits