hawkeyegop
Uploading 65 modules
  • 2004/12/8 17:50

• hawkeyegop

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/18

Hi,

I had a brilliant (or maybe not) idea of uploading every possible module I thought sounded interesting or useful. Some of them are duplicates, like several different calendars or photo galleries, so I can see which I like best. So there is a total of 65 I am currently uploading, including the core modules (it's taking a long time!) Has anyone done this before? There are so many modules and it is hard to know which are good and which are bad, or even what they do, unless you test them. I will probably just go through them one by one and see what I think, and pick my favorite module from each category, then maybe zip it and keep it on my hard drive so that when I want to install this again, I already have the modules I like.

The only question I have is this: with this many modules uploaded, are there any problems known about some modules maybe working with another to crash or something? And, does this sound like a stupid idea, or do other people do this as well.

Thanks

Chris

ackbarr
Re: Uploading 65 modules

though I've never uploaded 65 modules at the same time, I have a development website (seperate from my real website) where we test different modules.

There are some isolated reports of certain combinations of modules being installed together causing problems. Not usually causing problems for the XOOPS core itself, but breaking functionality in 1 of the modules.

To help others in their search for the perfect module, after you've made your choices, please take a moment and rate the modules in the repository. If you need to clarify something, post a comment or (for detailed opinions) a review. That way others can learn from your experience.

jmass
  • 2004/12/8 18:05

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I use XOOPS as part of my company's hosted portal product - OBS Portal Server. It is Xoops, IBM Domino, Icewarp Webmail, OBS Webdesign, IBM Portal Server, IBM WebSphere Commerce Server, and some other items all integrated. It is a hosted only option. Because of the GPL and my use of close sourced applications, I can not release it.

I did the exact same thing as you are talking about. I currently have a custom XOOPS image with 40+ hand picked modules. I have included some custom hacks, custom themes, new module icon set, enhanced admin interface, and more. I allows me to have a very consistent install. Very little of these improvements are mine alone. Most are pulled together from all of the different resources I have found here.

I think that what you are planning is a great idea, it has served me very well with zero problems.

hawkeyegop
  • 2004/12/8 18:10

• hawkeyegop

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/18

This is very weird. After they finally finished uploading I went to the admin module screen... but it only lists the core modules. I double checked and all the modules did upload to the server. I don't understand what is going on, so now I can't install and test them :(

Peekay
  • 2004/12/8 19:41

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

You did just upload the module folder itself for each module? It can sometimes be buried several folders deep in the extracted download. E.g.

downloadedfolder/html/modules/themodulefolderitself

The only folder you need to upload is 'themodulefolderitself'. If you upload the whole lot, the module will not be found by module admin.

Login

Who's Online

183 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 183

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits