Peekay
Macintosh OS9 and FTP
  • 2004/11/25 13:03

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Using Mac OS9, in theory, you should be able to download a Zip or tar.gz archive full of PHP files, de-compress it using 'Stuffit Expander' and upload the files to a Unix/Linux server using a Mac FTP program like 'Fetch' .

However, in practice I have found that on more than one occasion there are some PHP files that simply do not like being Mac-handled in this way.

If you FTP from Mac OS9 and have PHP applications or modules that mis-behave, you *might* solve the problem simply by de-compressing the archive on a PC (using a utility like WinZip) and uploading the files using a PC FTP app.

This happened to me recently with a fresh XOOPS install that seemed to upload from my Mac without error, but failed to work properly.

The infamous 'headers already sent' error can sometimes be a coding mistake, but for Mac FTP users, it can also indicate a corrupt file.

m0nty
Re: Macintosh OS9 and FTP
  • 2004/11/25 14:38

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

nice tip :)

1 more reason why Mac users shud stick to doing graphics work or audio mixing, and use a decent computer such as a PC for web design.. lol

just kiddin.. (i'm sure a mac has other uses too) lol

rocket98
  • 2004/11/25 15:15

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

That's why TEXT editors like BBEDIT were created.

Back in the day Stuffit Expander never behaved well yet a simple change of the program's prefs sufficed in correcting malformed behavior.

Peekay
  • 2004/11/25 19:37

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Nine times out of ten we don't have a problem 'processing' downloaded apps on the Mac. We can come un-stuck if the original PHP files were composed, or edited, using a Unix/Linux Text Editor, because (as you already know rocket98) the end-of-line commands are different than Mac or Windows systems. The reliability in which archive decompression and FTP software deals with this discrepancy varies. There's some techy stuff on this at:

http://www.speedsoft.com/cgicentral/fixcrlf.html

http://kb.indiana.edu/data/agiz.html

Actually, if you un-zip Unix tar files uzing Winzip you have to be careful, because it has a configuration option called 'TAR file smart CR/LF conversion'. This might be good for viewing the archive contents on a PC, but not so good for re-uploading a PHP file to a Linux server where the original formatting may be important.

It's all good fun.

coopersita

I think the problem is using Mac os9... too old.

I use a mac osX, and it I've never had any problems like that.

I use bbedit with fetch to edit files. Works like a charm.

And for those who say we Mac users should stick to pretty pictures and editing multimedia, I have php and MySQL running on it. Mac osX runs over unix, and comes with apache, perl, and php preinstalled.

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits