Beejay
People posting
  • 2004/11/21 3:40

• Beejay

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/5 2

This has probably come up before but I can't seem to find it in the search if it has. My question is how do you promote your site and do they work or not. I'm asking this because I've made a couple of XOOPS site and they get quite a bit of visitors and members but people never post and if they do they only do one post or something. So if you get people posting can you share some tips on how you do. If this sould be in another forum can a mod please move it. Thanks in advance

YourHelp
Re: People posting
  • 2004/11/22 0:41

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

What ever you do not force your site onto others this is the wrong way to go about it. Don’t fall for cheap tricks where people say they will advertise your site to billions of people by email ect… for $45.00 this is another way of not going about it.

Google is a great place to start if you have money to spend or not there are different options check out there plans. Also ad your URL to your posts here which you have done and also to email footers when you send an email its little things like this that also help promote your site. Good luck with it .

Beejay
  • 2004/11/25 7:47

• Beejay

• Quite a regular

I will have a look at those, thank you

Mithrandir

Main thing: Give people a reason to post!

When you review a game, show some emotions and opinions. Something that people can comment on.

If you give an average review of a game that doesn't really tell people anything they didn't know already, they'll probably read it and forget it.

You have a good attempt in the review of Doom 3, but it is a little inconsistent:
Quote:

id Software's highly anticipated squeal Doom 3 might just be the best game on the PS2

That's good, that's an opinion people can agree or disagree with, but then you say
Quote:
You find out how this game is kind of badly thought out

Another opinion, good, but it does not really correspond with the above sentence.

You generally bash the game, then end up with a conclusion of a must-have game - that says to me that it is a half-worked out review by someone not very experienced and not really worth commenting on.

Work on that. Work on the content. Give people a reason and a motivation to comment.
I know that feedback is great. It is a fantastic feeling to write or do something and then have people tell you "Wow, that was a really great job, you did there" - but such things take time. If you have a fair number of readers, comments WILL come, with time.

irmtfan
  • 2004/11/25 10:22

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i totally agree with mith about content
if your site have a lot of new and amuse content people going to site from everywhere even if you really dont link more post and hits
people find good sites finally
and more than this you and your moderators must love the subject of site. if you dont like your site how you want people enjoy it?
i personally dont want a lot of random visits or un-active members at my site and i never advertise my site or want other sites to affiliate it but i like my community members and have good times with them so i have many active members to collect news, pics , articles, ... and even i build some privet forums viewable for all but only active members acn post in that
all in all it just depend yourself!!!

Alan-A
  • 2004/11/25 14:00

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,
maybe you'll find something of use in these two threads:
My Site is a Failure!
and:
How can I beat my Competitors?
Good Luck,
Alan

Beejay
  • 2004/11/27 5:00

• Beejay

• Quite a regular

Thanks Mith for you in deth response, and also irmtfan. I have a few more goes on getting reviews and content right

@ Alan-A: thanks for the links, I'll have a read of them

Also I've seen on other sites they post news and reviews in the forums and then post them in the news section as well with a link "Discuss this in the Forums" and disable comments. Do you think I should try this as this could also get the ammount of topics in the forums up for people to post in?

Cheers and thanks for the advise all

YourHelp
  • 2004/11/28 17:56

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

The content is important your site is good I have you bookmarked.

Beejay
  • 2004/11/29 10:40

• Beejay

• Quite a regular

Thanks Any way this really isn't on topic but I've changed my theme a bit and the graphics, do you think they will attract a few more people or do you think it still needs working on. Thanks again for the responses. Very much appreciated

YourHelp
  • 2004/12/1 23:40

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

I think so change is good

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits