jensclas
Can someone help with tutorials templates please?

I am in the configuration of tutorials and it asks me for a template for Category, tutorials, and tutorial content.

That makes sense...but I am totally clueless as to how to create a template. Has anyone got some suggestions as to where I can get one ready made? One day i might be brave enough to write my own...but for now I need at least a basic formula (code) I can use.

TIA -

tjnemez
Re: Can someone help with tutorials templates please?
  • 2004/11/14 2:21

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

templates control the layout of your modules and blocks. while a theme is for the layout of your site.

in your admin you can clone your templates which will give you a set to edit. then you can make changes (cloned set) in the layout of your modules and blocks.

http://dcdezines.ca/modules/articles/article.php?articleID=7

then try this exercise:
http://dcdezines.ca/modules/articles/article.php?articleID=8

jensclas

Thanks - I will try that...but i have some more questions. I have read up on the diff between theme and template and think I have a handle on that. I have never edited a template before so that is scary...

1. Why does this module ask my to provide a template? - every other module I have installed has obviously used the default template set. Does this module not fit those ones?

2. Once I have a template how do I tell My Tutorials module to use it - simply paste in the template code I create? Or Will I have to ftp the template file to XOOPS - if so where so that my tutorials will use it.

Please remember these are the questions of a noobie!

Thanks

One more thing...now that I have in fact cloned the template set to a set called my tutorials - so i don't get lost - which ones are the ones I should play with for the my tutorials module?

For example i have pulled up in edit mode the waiting contents file. It contains the following script

<ul>
<{foreach item=module from=$block.modules}>
<li><a href="<{$module.adminlink}>"><{$module.lang_linkname}></a>: <{$module.pendingnum}></li>
<{/foreach}>
</ul>

I have absolutley no idea what all this language means and how to make it what I need for My tutorials. As a beginner I am after a more accessible solution - if XOOPS is to be easy for Noobies then I should not have to be heading down this path just yet its is scary- there has already been tons to learn.
Thanks

daddystu
  • 2004/11/14 7:57

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Don't know if this is right or not to be honest
BUT

Most modules do indeed seem to have templates which they install into the template set when we install the module.

While the module Tutorials (I think authored by someone in Germany?) does have templates already, it does do things a bit differently.

Quote:
1. Why does this module ask my to provide a template? - every other module I have installed has obviously used the default template set. Does this module not fit those ones?

Each module adds its own default templates to the default template set when you install the module.
Tutorials has its own templates but they are not accessed the same way as other modules.They do not appear in the set and cannot be played with that way.

It does have default templates so you do not HAVE TO provide template code. The default is to provide nothing and it will use its own in-built templates like other modules.

Quote:
2. Once I have a template how do I tell My Tutorials module to use it - simply paste in the template code I create? Or Will I have to ftp the template file to XOOPS - if so where so that my tutorials will use it.

Within the admin section of the module Tutorials - General Config it allows you to input your own template code for each of three sections.
1.categories
2.Tutorials
3.tutorial content

Each of these then has a checkbox to activate your code to supercede the original template.

So, if you do make a nice template, just paste it into the appropriate area and then check the box that says 'aktivate' then this i.e. your inputted code will become the default template.

In short, I do not think it is very different to other modules really, it just allows you to input template code in another area as opposed to the normal place...

Actually it is quite nice in one way because you can turn new ideas on and off just by checking the box, this means you can have some code that still needs work , leave the box unchecked to let the default template run and return to your code when you have time...

hth

jensclas

Quote:
hth
you bettya it did

Thanks So much -

That was a wonderful explanation and it means I don't have to worry about it for now and when I do get more advanced on all of this I can play with it.

I guess what the module writers need to do is include the line 'leave blank to use default templates'. If that was there I wouldn't have gone into the oh no what now response!

Once again thanks heaps!

Login

Who's Online

227 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 227

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits