tedsmith
MyAlbum - Thumbnails look grainy but full picture superb
  • 2004/10/25 20:08

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Can anyone visit my site and look at the picture listed in the 'Recent Found Dogs' area. See how it looks a bit dodgy? If you then click on the picture, it looks great.

For some reason, the thumbnail has gone all funny. Does anyone know why? I have got the module to use GD (and tried re-building the thumbs) becuase I couldn't get the others things to work (like ImageMagic and NetBB) - I tried to install them once to use xcgal or XCGallery whatever its called. Couldn't do it, so just left it becuase MyAlbum seemed to cope OK usually, but with this particular picture it hasn't.

Any ideas? Is there another setting elsewhere in XOOPS specific to thumbnails that I need to adjust?

Thankful as always

ackbarr
Re:MyAlbum - Thumbnails look grainy but full picture superb

no, I don't think it has anything to do with xoops. More than likely the settings used to scale your image in GD are the culprit. Though I have no evidence to back it up, I've heard from several people that GD's algorithms do not produce the same quality as either the ImageMagik or NetPBM libraries. Tweaking the GD settings might help, but I have very little experience with them, so I don't know where to begin.

tedsmith
Re:MyAlbum - Thumbnails look grainy but full picture superb
  • 2004/11/9 20:47

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I found out why this was happening.

Without realising it, but I had set my second instance of MyAlbum to use GD as its image manager in the modules preferences, as opposed to ImageMagick which the other instance of the module was set to use. That's why the thumbnails in one looked great, but the other did not.

Having corrected the general preferences, I then 'Rebuilt Thumbnails' and forced it to re-create thumbnails even if they already existed so it overwrote the previous thumbs that had been made using GD. I then deleted the content of the templates_c folder and heypresto.

Now all is working well. Just thought I'd update the thread in case anyone else ever had the same problem.

Login

Who's Online

442 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 442

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits