sunzen
problem of connecting to database
  • 2004/11/8 10:45

• sunzen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/8

hi,
I have seen such posts on some forums, but havn't get help from those ones. So I post a new one, and wish any help could be got from here.

i am able to connect to database with tools such as MySQL clint, MySQL control center. But when i install xoops, even tough i use the same username and password , it always failed. The message is the following:

Could not connect to the database server.
Please check the database server and its configuration.

I am eager to use the wonderful WCM software, while i am frustraed now. :(. Any help is appreciated.

sunzen

smdcom
Re:problem of connecting to database

are you sure you enter a correct password/username? are you password case-sensitive? have you create a database for XOOPS installation?

sunzen
  • 2004/11/8 11:50

• sunzen

• Just popping in

I am sure i have typed the same user name and password as what i type when use MySQL client and MySQL control center.

I have created a new database named xoops. But i think that is not a problem. The instruction says if it doesn't exist, it will build a new one.

My problem is that XOOPS installer can't connect to database. Does it need unix port? MySQL control center needs it, while MySQL client does not.

Below i post my operations with MySQL so that helpers could help me to find the evil.
-------------------------
[root@wangxz htdocs]# MySQL -u sunzen -p xoops
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 7 to server version: 3.23.52

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>
---------------------------
I did use the name "sunzen" and the password when installing xoops.

phppp
  • 2004/11/8 13:25

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

system is Window?

tedsmith
  • 2004/11/8 13:36

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I take it you are hosting this site yourself judging by the fact that you are playing with the MySQL command line.

If so, try using 'localhost' when providing your database infomation, and if that doesn't work try the IP address 127.0.0.0 (local loopback address). I'm sure I had this problem before and Mirth told me to try that and it worked. Try doing a search for your error and I'm sure you'll find my post - I think I titled it 'Could not connect to the database server.'

Also, try looking through your mainfile.php and check the details in that match what you set your database values as.

Lastly, try running winmysqladmin.exe from the c:\mysql\bin folder (if you are using Windows) and check the settings in there. If your MySQL Server is set up OK it should run with a green light and list your databases in the right hand tab. If it doesn't then that may give you some clues.

As a last resort, just try downloading and installing Xsas - a great little util that sets up php and MySQL for you.

Good luck

sunzen
  • 2004/11/9 5:30

• sunzen

• Just popping in

To phppp:
No, i works on Linux. The distribution is Redhat 8.0.

sunzen
  • 2004/11/9 5:42

• sunzen

• Just popping in

Tedsmith,

yes, I want to hosting a site on my local machine, and i work on Redhat Linux 8.0.
I did as what you advice, use localhost, use loopback address, check mainfile.php. Unluckly, it can't still run.
I will try to do that, and i am considering reinstall MySQL
software.

Anyway, thank for your advice.

sunzen

Login

Who's Online

498 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 498

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits